Are you tired of plain old beef gravy and want to add a new twist to your meals? Look no further than this Corned Beef Gravy recipe! Perfect for any occasion, from your weekly family dinner to your next get-together with friends, this gravy recipe is sure to impress.
Not only does it taste delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. There are no complex steps or obscure ingredients needed here. All you need are some readily available items such as corned beef, flour, butter, salt and pepper, and a few other pantry staples.
Plus, with the ability to customize and pair it with other dishes such as corned beef hash or cabbage, this recipe adds a new dimension of flavor and versatility to your cooking repertoire. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Attention foodies and home cooks! Are you tired of making the same old gravy recipe? Do you want to add some zest to your meals? Look no further, as this corned beef gravy recipe is sure to leave you begging for more!
Picture tender corned beef, slow cooked to perfection and then combined with a flavorful beef gravy. The result is a mouthwatering dish that will have your taste buds dancing in delight. Not only is this recipe simple and easy to execute, but it also boasts of flavors that will take your culinary skills to another level.
This recipe can be used for any occasion. Whether it’s a Sunday family dinner or a simple weeknight meal, the corned beef gravy will elevate any dish. It can be served on top of crispy toast or paired with creamy mashed potatoes. You can even use it as sauce for a luscious poutine or on top of kaleve.
What sets this recipe apart is its flexibility. You can customize it to suit your preferences by adding or subtracting ingredients depending on what you have in your pantry. Plus, cooking corned beef in the slow cooker guarantees a juicy and mouthwatering result that you’ll be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.
So why not step out of your comfort zone and try this delicious recipe today? Your taste buds will thank you, and you’ll soon find yourself making it over and over again. Trust me; this corned beef gravy is bound to become one of your favorites!
Ensure you have all the ingredients before starting the cooking process. For this delicious corned beef gravy recipe, you will need:
- 1 cooked corned beef, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry, such as butter, flour, salt, and pepper. The primary ingredient is cooked corned beef, which can be purchased pre-cooked from your local supermarket or prepared from scratch by Cooking corned beef in a slow cooker or pressure cooker at home. The flavour enhancers add freshness and acidity to the gravy, making it more vibrant and flavorful.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have covered the essentials, let’s move on to the fun part – cooking! This Corned Beef Gravy Recipe is very easy to make and doesn’t require too much time. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- 4 cups of Cooking Liquid from Slow Cooker Corned Beef
- 1/2 cup of Butter
- 1/2 cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon of Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the Butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in the All-Purpose Flour and use a whisk to stir constantly until it forms a paste. Keep stirring for about two minutes until it turns into a golden-brown color.
- Next, slowly start adding the Cooking Liquid, stirring constantly with a whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add in the Mustard, Vinegar, and some Salt and Pepper, and continue stirring.
- Let it simmer for about ten minutes on low heat until it thickens up nicely.
Congratulations! You now have a delicious Corned Beef Gravy that can be used for multiple recipes.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to corned beef gravy recipe, you can experiment with various substitutions and variations to create an array of flavors. The ingredient list is already versatile enough to allow you to customize your recipe as per your taste buds. So, let’s take a look at some exciting ways to level up your corned beef gravy:
– Corned Beef Hash Gravy: Add cooked corned beef hash to the gravy mixture for an extra layer of texture and flavor. This variation is perfect when served with a side of potatoes or toast.
– Chipped Beef Gravy: Use chipped beef instead of corned beef to give your gravy a unique taste. The best way to serve this gravy is on toast, aka creamed chipped beef.
– Vegetarian Option: For a vegetarian option, omit the corned beef and use vegetable broth and butter instead of beef broth and fat.
– Slow Cooker Corned Beef Gravy: Cooking corned beef in a slow cooker is an effortless way to achieve melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. Use the cooking liquid from the slow cooker to make the gravy for added depth of flavor.
– Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Gravy: If you prefer cooking with a pressure cooker, then use it to make your corned beef. The result will be just as good as slow cooking method but in lesser time.
– Guinness Gravy: Use Guinness beer in place of water or beef broth for a burst of rich and malty taste. This variation is perfect for those who appreciate a bolder flavor profile.
Overall, there are several ways to switch up your corned beef gravy recipe as per your personal preferences or occasions. Whichever variation you choose, make sure it complements the main dish and doesn’t overpower it. Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun creating unique flavors!
Serving and Pairing
This corned beef gravy recipe is a true champion on its own, but it also makes for a fantastic companion to a variety of dishes. Feel free to go off the beaten path and try out different pairings with this classic Irish dish.
One of my favourite ways to serve this delicious gravy is over corned beef cabbage or hash. The combination of the classic meat and potatoes dish with this hearty gravy is unbeatable, and makes for a comforting and satisfying meal.
If you’re in the mood for something more adventurous, try using it as a topping for poutine! The rich, savoury flavour pairs well with the fries and cheese curds, and creates an unforgettable taste experience.
For those who prefer a lighter meal, you can use this gravy as a sauce for kaleve or roasted vegetables. It’s vegan-friendly as well!
If you’re serving this corned beef gravy recipe for breakfast or brunch, try pouring it over creamed chipped beef on toast or even eggs. The richness and depth of flavours elevate these dishes to new heights.
For an unforgettable party dish, pair it with a Guinness gravy or homemade tomato sauce to create some seriously delicious dipping options.
Whatever way you decide to serve this corned beef gravy recipe, it’s sure to take your meals to the next level.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When you have a busy week ahead of you, preparing meals in advance is always a smart move. Fortunately, this rich and flavorful Corned Beef Gravy Recipe is perfect for prepping ahead of time.
To make this dish ahead of time, simply cook the corned beef as directed and let it cool completely before shredding or slicing it. You can also make the gravy in advance and store it separately in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the gravy on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through.
Storing leftovers is also a breeze with this recipe. You can refrigerate any leftover corned beef and gravy separately in airtight containers. The corned beef will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, while the gravy will last for up to 5 days.
When reheating the corned beef and gravy, take care not to overcook them or they may become tough. Simply heat them up on the stovetop over low-medium heat until they are warm throughout. To prevent the dish from becoming dry during reheating, add a small amount of water or additional broth to moisten it.
Whether you’re making this Corned Beef Gravy Recipe for a weeknight dinner or for entertaining guests, prepping ahead of time and storing leftovers properly can save you time and effort in the kitchen without sacrificing flavor or quality.
Tips for Perfect Results
Every cooking journey has its own unique challenges. In this recipe, these tips will guide you through achieving the perfect beef gravy results.
1. Mind your portions: Usually, a large portion of corned beef will create a rich and flavorful gravy. Therefore, if you have leftovers from a corned beef and cabbage dinner or an entire beef brisket that you cooked in your slow cooker, it’s time to make corned beef gravy. The corned beef can either be homemade or store-bought, just make sure to get the best quality possible.
2. Flour and butter: When making corned beef gravy, always use equal parts of butter and all-purpose flour to create a roux. This will thicken any sauce or gravy without changing its original taste.
3. Add the broth slowly: If you’re using the leftover cooking liquid from your cooked corned beef, make sure to let it cool first before adding it to the roux. Be careful not to pour all the liquid at once since this could create lumps in your sauce. Instead, pour it slowly while whisking continuously.
4. Seasoning matters: Always taste your gravy before serving and regulate seasoning accordingly. Salt and pepper are great seasonings for beef gravy, but you can also add other ingredients like mustard, Worcestershire sauce or minced garlic to give it an exciting twist.
5. Don’t forget vinegar and sugar: Vinegar and sugar may seem odd ingredients in a beef gravy recipe, but they add acidity and sweetness creating a balance of flavor that creates depth in taste.
6. Strain your gravy: To remove any lumpy bits or excess fat from your corned beef gravy, strain through a fine mesh sieve before serving.
7. Use drippings for extra flavor: If you’re making roast corned beef or even a pot roast-style this time around of cooking, use those drippings! Add them into your pan with butter and flour as if you were using leftover juices from a slow cooker method above.
With these tips, you can achieve that richly-flavored and silky-smooth texture of corned beef gravy perfect for pouring over mashed potatoes on St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year!
As you embark on making this delicious Corned Beef Gravy recipe, you may encounter some questions along the way. Here are some frequently asked questions and their solutions to help ensure that your cooking experience goes smoothly from start to finish.
What happens if you don’t Rinse corned beef?
Before cooking corned beef, it’s recommended to rinse it to remove excess saltiness. This step ensures that the dish won’t be overly salty and won’t compromise its flavor. So, yes, it’s a good idea to rinse the meat before cooking.
Do you use the liquid that comes with the corned beef?
When beginning your adventure to make corned beef, it’s important to carefully open the packaging over your slow cooker so that you can keep the brine in the cooking liquid. You shouldn’t toss out this brine, as it’s a key component of the dish’s flavor profile. Once open, place the meat in the cooker, and just enough cold water to cover it. Then, spice things up with some pickling spices, cover, and set the slow cooker to high to cook for roughly 6–8 hours.
Does corned beef get tougher the longer you cook it?
When it comes to cooking corned beef, it’s important to remember that this tough cut of meat requires patience and a lengthy cook time. Rushing the process won’t do any good, as the meat needs ample time to transform from a chewy texture into one that’s beautifully tender. It’s worth it though, because the end result is a delicious and flavorful dish that’s perfect for any occasion.
So, are you ready to try out this mouth-watering Corned Beef Gravy recipe? Trust me, this is definitely worth the effort and time involved in cooking. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can whip up a delicious meal that will keep your taste buds craving for more.
The rich flavor of beef gravy with tender corned beef chunks is a perfect addition to any meal. Whether you serve it over mashed potatoes or as a sauce on toast, this recipe is always a classic hit.
Also, remember that cooking corned beef gravy doesn’t have to be complicated. With a few tips and tricks, you can make it a quick and easy dish to prepare. And with the help of substitutions and variations section, the possibilities for experimenting with different flavors are endless.
In conclusion, I urge you to give this incredible Corned Beef Gravy recipe a try. Whether it’s for comfort food or impressing your guests with restaurant-level cuisine, it’s guaranteed that you will love every bite of it. So what are you waiting for? Grab your apron and let’s start cooking!
Corned Beef Gravy Recipe
- 40 ml sugar
- 60 ml vinegar, any type seems to work
- 10 ml butter
- 100 ml water, reserved from cooking the silverside
- 5 ml mustard, dry powder
- 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients except egg in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk egg, then slowly add to warm broth.
- Whisk mixture well, but do not boil.
- Enjoy over silverside.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.