Celebrate Christmas with a Scrumptious Pizza Recipe
The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with some delicious and festive food? If you’re looking for a fun and unique recipe to share with friends and family this Christmas, I have just the thing for you: a Christmas pizza recipe that will blow your mind! This simple recipe takes a traditional pizza and transforms it into a festive masterpiece in the shape of a Christmas tree.
But this is not just any pizza; it’s a pizza loaded with all of your favorite toppings, from gooey mozzarella cheese to savory sausage snack sticks, pepperoni mini snacks, red onions, and even miniature marshmallows. The result is a deliciously savory and sweet combination that will leave you wanting more.
What’s more, this Christmas pizza recipe is easy and quick to make, which means you can spend more time enjoying the holiday festivities with your loved ones. So why not take a break from the traditional Christmas turkey this year and try something new with this fun and creative dish? Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of traditional Christmas recipes and looking for something new and exciting to try? Look no further than this Christmas Pizza recipe! This unique twist on a classic dish combines the festive spirit of the holiday season with the traditional comfort of pizza.
Not only is this recipe fun to make, but it’s also perfect for those who want to enjoy a hassle-free Christmas meal. With just a few ingredients, you can create a show-stopping meal that will delight your family and guests.
What sets this recipe apart from other meals is its versatility. You can easily customize the toppings to your preferences, making it an ideal option for vegetarians or even using pre-made dough or puff pastry sheets for a quick meal.
This pizza recipe can also be used as a fun activity for children during holidays. Kids will love creating their customized Christmas trees or other festive shapes, and they’ll double their excitement when it’s time to taste their masterpieces.
Ultimately, it’s not just the taste but also the presentation that makes this recipe worth trying. Who wouldn’t want to have a freshly baked tree pizza on their dinner table or a veggie pizza wreath that resembles a beautiful Christmas stocking?
So, what are you waiting for? Get into the holiday spirit and try out this simple recipe to add some novelty and enjoyably festive flair to your simple Christmas.
Here is what you will need to make Christmas Pizza:
For the pizza dough:
- 2 ready rolled pizza dough or can use crescent dough or puff pastry sheet
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
For the toppings:
- 3 pepperoni snack sticks, cut into rounds
- 1 mini Christmas tree made of Styrofoam
- Red maraschino cherries or sundried tomatoes
- Salted and unsalted peanuts
- Angel flake coconut
- Miniature marshmallows
- Green and red pepper rings
- Finely chopped red onion or green onion
- Chopped vegetable of your choice such as broccoli, mushrooms, olives, or jalapeños
You can also use these ingredients to try different variations of Christmas Pizza recipe such as sausage snack sticks, sliced black olives, turkey bacon bits, Canadian bacon, and shredded Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Use pre-shredded cheese for the perfect consistency of melted cheese that will spread evenly all over the pizza.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare your dough
Preheat your oven to 425°F (or 220°C) and remove your pizza dough or puff pastry sheet from the refrigerator. If using pizza dough, roll it out on a floured surface to your desired thickness. If using puff pastry, unfold it according to package instructions and place it on a baking sheet.
Step 2: Add the sauce
Spread pizza or pasta sauce over the dough or puff pastry, leaving about half an inch around the perimeter.
Step 3: Add toppings
For this Christmas Tree Pizza, I like to use shredded mozzarella cheese, red onion, pepperoni snack sticks, and sausage snack sticks cut into small pieces. You can also add any other toppings you like such as sliced olives, diced bell pepper, mushrooms, or diced tomatoes.
Step 4: Create the Christmas tree shape
To create the shape of a Christmas tree, start by placing bigger toppings (such as onion pieces) in a rough outline of a tree shape. Gradually layer smaller toppings (such as sausage or pepperoni) onto the tree shape, filling it in entirely.
Step 5: Bake and serve
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool for a minute before slicing into wedges. Serve hot and enjoy your festive Christmas Tree Pizza with friends and family!
Tip: You can also get creative with different shapes such as a Christmas wreath, Christmas stocking or try out Ree Drummond’s Veggie Pizza wreath recipe if you want something lighter.
Now that you have learned how to create this simple Christmas pizza recipe, let’s take a look at some substitutions and variations if you want to switch things up!
Substitutions and Variations
While this Christmas Pizza recipe is already a crowd-pleaser, there’s always room for personal touches and variations. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try to create your own unique twist on this festive pizza:
– Meatless version: If you’re going meatless, simply omit the pepperoni and sausage snack sticks from the topping choices. You can add flavorful veggies such as chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini instead.
– Sweet version: Transform this pizza recipe into a dessert pizza by swapping out the savory toppings with sweet items. For instance, replace pasta sauce with Nutella, add sliced bananas or strawberries, sprinkle on mini marshmallows, angel flake coconut, and red maraschino cherries for a fruity and indulgent variation.
– Puff pastry base: Instead of using pizza dough as the base, you can use puff pastry sheets for a lighter and flakier crust. Make sure to preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake the prepared puff pastry sheet for about 15 minutes before adding toppings.
– Wreath or tree pull apart bread: For an even more festive feel, shape the pizza dough into a wreath or Christmas tree pull-apart bread. Ree Drummond has an amazing Veggie Pizza Wreath Recipe for inspiration. Simply arrange your favorite toppings in a circular pattern on the dough before baking for a fun presentation.
– Different sauce: Feel free to experiment with different types of sauce beyond traditional tomato pasta sauce such as alfredo or pesto sauce.
Whether you want to customize this Christmas Pizza recipe to fit dietary restrictions or simply crave a different flavor profile, these substitution options will make sure that your holiday meal is anything but ordinary.
Serving and Pairing
The Christmas Pizza recipe is not only delicious but also offers a delightful presentation that would bring warmth and happiness to your holiday gathering. The Christmas tree pizza, with its vibrant colors and fun design, is sure to attract attention and spark joy. You can serve it as a main dish or as a snack along with other appetizers.
This pizza is perfect for pairing with simple Christmas cocktails or mocktails that are light and refreshing. The angel flake coconut, red maraschino cherries, salted peanuts, unsalted peanuts, and miniature marshmallows in the recipe complement the flavors of various drinks. If you want to keep things traditional, serve it with a classic eggnog or hot chocolate.
For those who prefer wine, try pairing this pizza with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir or a fruity white wine such as Riesling. For beer enthusiasts, you can’t go wrong pairing the Christmas Pizza with a pale ale or lager.
If you have any leftovers, this pizza works well as a snack for the kids to munch on during the day after Christmas. It’s also great for wrapping up into lunchbox-sized portions and taking to work throughout the week. Any way you choose to serve and pair it, this Christmas Pizza will be sure to please!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Christmas pizza recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. If you want to make it ahead, prepare the pizza dough and sauce, then store them separately in the fridge for up to two days before using them. You can also roll out the pizza dough and freeze it for later use if you’d like.
To store your finished pizza, make sure it has cooled completely before refrigerating or freezing. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and keep it in the fridge for up to five days. If you need to keep it for longer, transfer it to the freezer and store it there for up to two months.
When you’re ready to reheat your Christmas pizza, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place your frozen or refrigerated pizza on a greased baking sheet and bake it for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
If you prefer a crispier crust, try reheating your pizza on a preheated skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Heat until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
Remember not to reheat your Christmas pizza more than once as this can affect its quality. To avoid waste, cut your pizza into smaller portions and reheat only what you need.
In summary, follow these guidelines when making ahead, storing, and reheating your Christmas pizza:
1. Make ahead by preparing dough and sauce separately.
2. Store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil either in the fridge or freezer.
3. Reheat in the oven or on a preheated skillet to ensure crispy crust and melted cheese.
4. Cut into smaller portions to avoid waste.
Tips for Perfect Results
Pizza is a favorite food for many people, and making it at home is an enjoyable activity. To ensure that your Christmas pizza recipe comes out perfectly every time, it’s important to follow certain tips that will help you get the best results.
1. Use Quality Ingredients: The ingredients used in making any dish play a crucial role in the final result. So always use fresh, high-quality ingredients when making a Christmas pizza. For example, use only the best quality pizza dough available, fresh veggies, and premium cheeses.
2. Don’t Overload Your Pizza: Loading up your pizza with too many toppings will make it soggy and challenging to cook thoroughly. Therefore, always stick with three or four toppings and keep it simple.
3. Preheat Your Oven: Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature according to your recipe to make sure that your pizza crust comes out perfectly cooked.
4. Roll Out Your Dough Properly: Be sure to roll out your dough smoothly and evenly on a floured surface. If your dough is too thick and uneven, it’ll take longer to cook through or burn in some spots.
5. Add Cheese Carefully: Spread enough sauce evenly over the dough before adding cheese so that it doesn’t leave clumps or cause an overly greasy pizza.
6. Experiment with Different Toppings: As much as it’s essential to keep your festive Pizza simple, don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings such as sausages snack sticks or different types of cheese such as creamy feta cheese instead of mozzarella during the holidays.
7. Use Parchment Paper: Using parchment paper while baking your Christmas tree pizza dough ensures it doesn’t stick to the baking sheet or pan while cooking; making it easier for you to remove from the pan.
8. Let It Cool Before Slicing: When you pull out your Christmas pizza from the oven, it’ll be tempting to dive in immediately! However, if you give it some time to rest and cool down for about 5-10 minutes, you ensure that each slice is fully set up and easy to handle.
Incorporating these tips into your preparation process will guarantee a perfect outcome for this simple yet delicious holiday dish!
In conclusion, this Christmas pizza recipe is a perfect addition to the holiday spread. It’s easy to make, customizable, and adds a fun twist to an otherwise traditional dish. Whether you’re having a simple Christmas dinner or a big feast, this pizza tree will surely impress your guests.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings and variations to suit your taste preferences. And if you’re feeling extra creative, try incorporating the dough into fun shapes like a wreath or stocking for an added festive touch.
So go ahead and give this pizza recipe a try. With its deliciously cheesy goodness and eye-catching presentation, it’s sure to become a holiday favorite among your friends and family. Enjoy!
Christmas Pizza Recipe
- 1 (12 ounce) package real milk chocolate chips (or dark, if you prefer)
- 1 lb white almond bark, cut into small (1-inch)
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts or 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 (6 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, drained, and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons green glazed cherries, drained and quartered
- 1/3 cup angel flake coconut
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Microwave chips and 14 oz almond bark in a 2 qt microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 2 minutes. Stir. Continue microwaving 1 to 2 minute or until smooth when stirred, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir in marshmallows, cereal and peanuts. Pour onto greased 12-inch pizza pan. Top with cherries; sprinkle with coconut.
- Microwave remaining 2 oz. almond bark and oil in a 1 cup measure for 1 minute and stir. Continue microwaving 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth when stirred, stirring every 15 seconds. Drizzle over coconut.
- Refrigerate until firm (usually 3+ hours). Store at room temperature. Cut into wedges. Makes about 12 large slices.
Your Own Notes
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.