With the rise of veganism and gluten-free diets, experimenting with alternative ingredients has become increasingly popular. That’s where this recipe for vegan lentil flour pancakes comes in. Not only is it vegan and gluten-free, but it’s also high in protein and easy to make.
I must say that, as a culinary explorer myself, I’m always looking for new recipes to try. These lentil flour pancakes surprised me with how tasty they were, and how versatile they can be. The best part is that you don’t have to be a master chef to make them – they’re easy to whip up at home with just a few simple ingredients.
If you’re tired of having the same old breakfast options, or looking to try something new, this recipe might just be what you’re looking for. So, get ready to impress your tastebuds and your friends with these delicious vegan lentil flour pancakes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you a fan of pancakes but want to try something new and healthier? Then, you’ll love this vegan lentil flour pancake recipe!
These red lentil pancakes are not only gluten-free, but also high in protein due to the lentil flour. You can enjoy a delicious breakfast without feeling guilty about your food choices.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can easily switch up the flavors by adding spices such as cumin seed or chili powder. You can also incorporate shredded carrots or radishes for an added crunch.
But don’t worry, even with these added ingredients, these pancakes are easy to make and only require a few simple steps. Plus, they are perfect for busy mornings as they cook up quickly.
Not only are these pancakes healthy and flavorful, but they are also budget-friendly. All you need is 1 cup of red lentils, some basic pantry staples like flour and baking powder, and water.
So why not switch things up and give these savory lentil pancakes a try? They are perfect for breakfast or even as a savory snack option throughout the day. Trust me, once you try them, you won’t look back at regular pancakes again!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these savory Lentil Flour Pancakes:
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup masoor dal (red split lentils), soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp oat flour or corn flour for binding
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2-3 radishes, grated
Make sure to soak the lentils and dal chilla overnight to ensure they cook well and become soft enough to blend smoothly. The cumin seeds and chili powder give a nice spicy kick which goes well with the lentil flavor. Apple cider vinegar will add a nice tangy taste to the batter while also helping in digestion. Oat or corn flour can be added to give the pancakes more binding and help them hold their shape. Adding grated carrot and radishes will enhance the flavors and nutrition of these delicious pancakes.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the most important part of the recipe- the how-to! Don’t worry, these savory vegan lentil flour pancakes are super easy to make.
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup lentil flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- Rinse the soaked red lentils and put them in a blender with two cups of water; blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lentil flour and chickpea flour, then add in your blended red lentil mixture.
- Mix well and then add baking powder, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, chili powder and cumin seed to the bowl. Stir all ingredients together until everything is combined well.
- Cover the batter with a towel or lid and let it sit for around 30 minutes. This will help activate the baking powder and create a better texture for your pancakes.
- Heat up your non-stick pancake pan or oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Pour about a quarter cup of pancake batter into the pan to form each pancake. Let cook for around two or three minutes or until you see bubbles on top of pancake; flip it over to cook for another two minutes.
- Repeat this process until all batter has been used.
There you have it! Delicious, high protein lentil pancakes that will be sure to satisfy your hunger cravings while still keeping you full throughout the day.
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to get creative with your lentil pancakes, there are a variety of substitutions and variations that you can make. Here are some ideas:
– Flour: You can substitute the lentil flour with chickpea or whole wheat flour for a slightly different taste and texture. For gluten-free options, use oat or corn flour instead of wheat-based ones.
– Lentils: Instead of red lentils, you can use other varieties like green lentils or split peas. However, note that this may affect the flavor and texture of the pancakes.
– Spices: If you want to spice things up, try adding chili powder or cumin seed to the batter for a bit of heat and smokiness.
– Veggies: You can incorporate other vegetables into the pancakes for added nutrition and flavor. Try grated carrots, shredded radishes, or mashed potatoes for an extra boost.
– Fruit: If sweet pancakes are more your thing, add mashed bananas or applesauce to the batter for a natural sweetness.
– High-Protein Pancakes: If you’re looking for a protein-packed breakfast option, try adding cooked quinoa or tofu to the batter. You can also serve the pancakes with a side of vegan sausage or tempeh bacon for added protein.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to flavor combinations and variations on this recipe. Get creative in the kitchen and make these pancakes your own!
Serving and Pairing
I like to serve these vegan lentil flour pancakes with a side of roasted vegetables such as carrots, radishes or even sliced potatoes seasoned with chili powder and cumin seed. These savoury lentil pancakes would also pair nicely with a side salad dressed with a vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt.
For an extra protein boost, consider topping the pancakes with a dollop of hummus, guacamole or salsa. The toppings will add an extra layer of flavour to the already tasty pancakes. If you’re feeling more adventurous, try turning them into tacos or wraps by using the pancakes as tortillas.
For breakfast, enjoy them stacked high and drizzled with maple syrup or honey with fresh fruit such as banana slices, blueberries or strawberries on top. If you want a more filling breakfast option, prepare some tofu scramble or avocado toast to go along with the pancakes.
These vegan lentil flour pancakes are versatile and can be paired with various ingredients that you already have in your fridge or pantry. Get creative with the toppings and pairings and taste how they elevate the flavours.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to meal prepping and busy mornings, these Vegan Lentil Flour Pancakes are a game-changer. Not only are they healthy and delicious, but they can also be made ahead of time for quick and easy breakfasts throughout the week.
To make these pancakes ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat them in the microwave, oven or on stovetop.
For reheating in the microwave, wrap two pancakes with a damp paper towel and heat for 30 seconds to one minute depending on your microwave. If you want crispy edges, place them on a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes on each side until heated through.
These Vegan Lentil Flour Pancakes hold up well when stored and reheated which makes them perfect for busy mornings or hectic schedules. Plus, they also make great additions to your meal prepping routine where you can enjoy healthy meals without sacrificing taste.
So go ahead and explore new vegan pancake recipes with this easy-to-make Vegan Lentil Flour Pancake Recipe that not only tastes amazing but is also versatile and convenient for busy lives.
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking is an art and when it comes to making vegan lentil flour pancakes, it’s essential to keep a few things in mind to ensure perfect texture and delicious taste. Here are some tips that you may find useful while making this recipe.
Firstly, it’s important to make sure that the lentils are soaked properly. They should be soaked overnight or for at least 6-8 hours before making the batter. This helps to soften the lentils, making them easier to blend and resulting in smooth batter.
Secondly, while blending the batter, make sure to use enough water so that it is not too thick or too thin. A thick batter will result in dense pancakes, while a thin one may not hold its shape well. A good ratio is 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of red lentils.
Thirdly, allow the batter to sit for at least 30 minutes after blending it. This helps the flour absorb the moisture and ensures a fluffy texture when cooking.
Fourthly, avoid flipping the pancakes too soon. Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface and edges to dry out before flipping them over.
Fifthly, if you want your pancake spicier, add chili powder or cumin seed according to your taste preference.
Lastly, don’t overcrowd the pan while cooking as this can cause uneven cooking and sticking. It’s better to cook two or three pancakes at a time.
With these simple tips in mind, you’ll be able to create delicious vegan lentil flour pancakes with ease that are sure to impress everyone!
As with any recipe, there may be some questions and concerns that come up while attempting to make these vegan lentil flour pancakes. Therefore, I have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help ensure you get the best results possible. So let’s dive in and find the answers to any queries that may arise!
Can I use lentil flour instead of plain flour?
Peanut butter cookie recipe can be improved with the use of lentil flour as a substitute for all-purpose flour, according to a study by Central Washington University.
What can be made from lentil flour?
Instructions, tips and recommendations for making four delicious plant-based dishes: Vegan Basil Pesto Pasta, Lentil Crust Pizza, Vegan Lentil Potato Croquettes, and Baked Chickpea French Fries.
What alternative flour is best for pancakes?
When it comes to thickening your pancake batter, you have a few options to choose from. Arrowroot, tapioca, and potato starch are all effective thickeners, and I recommend starting with one tablespoon and adding more as necessary. Alternatively, coconut flour is another great option since it is highly absorbent and can help thicken your batter to the desired consistency.
Is lentil flour just lentils?
Lentils belong to a group of crops known as pulse crops, which also includes dry beans, chickpeas, field peas, and faba beans. “Pulse” refers to the dried, edible seeds of legumes. Lentil flour is made by finely grinding or milling lentils.
After trying this amazing vegan lentil flour pancake recipe, I am convinced that it will be a favorite among those who try it. With its unique blend of chili powder and cumin seed, these pancakes have a savory taste that is both nutritious and delicious.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s also gluten-free and high in protein. The lentil flour and red lentils provide a healthy alternative to traditional pancakes, while maintaining a fluffy texture that is perfect for any occasion.
Additionally, the versatility of this recipe is unmatched. It can be customized with various substitutions and variations to meet individual preferences. And with the ability to make-ahead, store, and reheat these pancakes, they are perfect for those who are always on the go.
In conclusion, I highly recommend giving this vegan lentil flour pancake recipe a try. It’s not only a healthier alternative but also a delicious way to start your day or enjoy as a snack anytime. So get ready to dig in and enjoy these fantastic pancakes that are sure to impress!
Vegan Lentil Flour Pancake Recipe
- 1/2 cup mung flour (i guess u can try to use urad or chickpea flour)
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 small radishes, grated
- 1 tablespoon coriander, leaf chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fruit salt (Eno)
- Combine all ingredients, except fruit salt.
- Season with salt.
- Now add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Spray 20cm nonstick pan and heat on full heat.
- Sprinkle fruit slat on top of batter, and combine lightly.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook till no wet spots appear on the top side, then turn and cook on other side.
- Enjoy with salsa.
Your Own Notes
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.