Do you ever feel compelled to try something new and different? Are you craving a fruity, delicious dessert to share with your loved ones? If so, I have the perfect recipe for you: Strawberry and Apple Pie. This recipe is the perfect combination of tangy and sweet flavors that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how versatile it can be. You can use frozen or fresh strawberries depending on what’s available in your area, and you can mix different apple varieties to create unique flavor profiles. This pie can be a great way to use up any leftover fruit or ingredients you have lying around your kitchen.
Not only is this pie simple to make, but it’s also vegan-friendly, so it’s perfect for those with dietary restrictions. With just a few basic ingredients, you’ll be able to create a beautiful, fruity dessert that’s sure to impress your friends and family.
So, if you’re ready to dive into the world of fruit pies, grab some fresh strawberries and Granny Smith apples and let’s get started on this strawberry and apple pie recipe. Get ready for a mouth-watering treat that everyone will love!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
My friend, let me tell you why you’ll fall in love with this strawberry and apple pie recipe. Firstly, it’s a vegan dessert that is so delicious, nobody will be able to resist! Secondly, the combination of fresh strawberries and tart Granny Smith apples bring out an outstanding fruity burst in every single bite.
This pie recipe is a wholesome treat for any occasion. Be it a picnic or a family gathering, this dessert will steal the show with its taste and aroma. The crust is flaky and buttery while the filling is divine- sweet and tangy at the same time. It’s a foolproof recipe that guarantees perfect results every time, and trust me when I say that it’s impossible to go wrong with this unique twist on apple pie.
Moreover, this recipe doesn’t require any complex ingredients and can be easily made at home. You won’t have to worry about shopping for hard-to-find ingredients or spend hours in the kitchen. All you need are fresh strawberries, Granny Smith apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, vegan margarine, sugar (both granulated and brown), arrowroot flour, and a picture-perfect pie crust.
In conclusion, you’re going to love this strawberry and apple pie recipe because it’s a refreshing alternative that provides an explosion of flavors all wrapped up in one delicious dish. Its simplicity, combined with the unbeatable taste make it an easy choice for dessert lovers everywhere!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this delectable strawberry and apple pie. You most likely already have most of these ingredients in your pantry.
For the pie crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup vegan margarine, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the pie filling:
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- Pinch of salt
For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- Pinch of salt
Now that we have all of our ingredients ready, let’s move on to the next step.
The Recipe How-To
Now, the eagerly awaited moment has come! We are going to turn those fresh strawberries and juicy granny smith apples into a delightful pie. This recipe is a combination of tart, sweet and crumble that will create an explosion of flavors on your taste buds. Just remember not to overwork the dough so it won’t lose its flakiness.
- Step 1: In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and cubed vegan margarine.
- Step 2: Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Step 3: Gradually add in cold water until the dough comes together.
- Step 4: Form the dough into two equally sized disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Step 2: In a big bowl, combine peeled and sliced apples, strawberries sliced and quartered, sugar, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Step 3: Mix thoroughly and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
Assembling The Pie
- Step 1: On a lightly floured surface, roll out one pie crust disk and place it into a greased 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges but leave some overhang.
- Step 2: Pour the strawberry apple pie filling into the crust.
- Step 1: In a small bowl stir together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and arrowroot powder.
- Step 2: Cut in cubed vegan margarine with your fingers or pastry cutter.
- Step 3: Stir in oats until combined.
Finishing up The Pie
- Step 1: Sprinkle evenly streusel topping over the fruit pie filling.
- Step 2: Roll out remaining crust disk on top of streusel topping.
- Step 3: Seal edges by crimping using your fingers or fork tines.
Make sure to brush beaten egg wash over the crust to add some sheen before baking to achieve an attractive golden color.
Bake this homemade strawberry apple pie for about an hour or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let it cool on a wire rack for at least one hour before serving.
Enjoy your strawberry apple pie as it is or with vanilla ice cream on top!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to add a little twist to your classic Strawberry and Apple Pie Recipe, don’t be afraid to mix things up a bit. Here are a few substitutions and variations you can try:
– Gluten-free crust: If you are gluten-free or just want to skip the dough, use a gluten-free crust instead. You can also make it with a nut-based crust for extra flavor and crunch.
– Different fruits: You can always swap strawberries and apples with other seasonal fruits like peaches, cherries, or blueberries. However, keep in mind that different fruits may need different cooking times and quantities of sugar.
– Vegan option: For those who are vegan (or lactose intolerant), use vegan margarine instead of butter for the streusel topping, and use arrowroot instead of cornstarch as a thickener.
– Streusel crunch: To get an extra caramelized topping and crunchy texture, mix 1/4 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg before adding it on top of the pie filling.
– Lemon zest: Add some fresh lemon zest while mixing the ingredients. It will brighten the flavors and create a zingy counterpoint to the sweetness of the fruit.
– Rhubarb twist: For some added tartness and color, mix half a cup of chopped frozen strawberries with half a cup of rhubarb. Layer it over the apple pieces if you prefer chunks within your pie filling.
Remember that experimenting in the kitchen is part of the fun. Don’t be afraid to try something new, even if it means straying from the traditional recipe now and then!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have baked a delicious Strawberry and Apple Pie, it’s time to serve it up and enjoy your creation. This vegan dish is perfect for dessert, but can also be enjoyed as a snack or treat any time of the day.
When serving the pie, it’s best to let it cool down slightly before slicing it up. You can serve it as is or pair it with some creamy vanilla ice cream or whipped coconut cream for an extra indulgence. The combination of the warm pie filling and cold creamy topping creates a perfect balance of textures and flavors.
For serving at special occasions, you can add some decorative sliced strawberries around the edge of the plate or sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the pie. You can even add some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans for added crunch and texture.
If you prefer something more tangy, you can also pair this pie with a classic cup of tea or coffee. The sweet and fruity flavors will complement the bitterness and earthiness of the drink.
Overall, there are endless ways to serve and enjoy this delightful Strawberry and Apple Pie dish. Whether you eat it plain or add some complementary toppings, pairing your homemade strawberry apple pie with a drink that brings out its flavors will make your taste buds dance with delight.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Making a strawberry and apple pie requires some time and effort, so it’s only natural to desire to prepare it ahead of time or store leftovers for later use. Luckily, this delicious fruit pie is very versatile and easy to store and reheat.
For those who’d like to prepare the pie ahead of time, you can create the pie crust and the filling a day in advance. Store both components separately in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Avoid mixing them until right before baking, or the crust may get soggy.
If you’ve already baked the pie but can’t finish it all, let it cool down completely before wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap or storing it in an airtight container in the fridge. The pie will keep well inside your refrigerator for up to four days.
To reheat your savory strawberry apple pie, place individual slices on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 20-30 seconds until slightly warm. You can also reheat the whole pie by placing it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for ten minutes.
Lastly, if you want to add some flavor to your reheated slice, serve it with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
Tips for Perfect Results
When making a strawberry and apple pie, there are a few tips to keep in mind for the perfect results.
Firstly, make sure your oven is preheated to 400°F before placing your pie in. This ensures that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the oven and that the crust is properly baked.
Secondly, use a streusel topping to add extra texture and flavor to your pie. Combine vegan margarine, sugar, and cinnamon with flour until you achieve a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle it on top of the fruit filling before baking.
Thirdly, don’t be afraid to play around with the spices in the recipe. Nutmeg and lemon are both great additions that can enhance the flavor of your pie.
Fourthly, if you find that your fruit filling is too runny or watery, try adding some arrowroot powder. This will help thicken the filling without affecting its taste.
Fifthly, when cutting your apples and strawberries for the pie filling, try to slice them into uniform pieces. This will ensure that they cook evenly and prevent any uneven pockets of uncooked fruit in your pie.
Lastly, allow your pie to cool completely before slicing it. This allows the filling to set properly and ensures that it won’t spill everywhere when you cut into it.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious strawberry and apple pie that’s bursting with flavor and texture.
As you’re cooking, baking or preparing this scrumptious strawberry and apple pie recipe, you may have some questions that come up. To assist in making your experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible, here are some frequently asked questions and answers for your to consider.
Do you cook apples before putting them in a pie?
When it comes to making a delicious apple pie filling, there’s a trick that can make all the difference. The key is to cook the apples beforehand, which will ensure that your filling has a perfect texture and just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, this process will help you avoid that dreaded space between the crust and the filling that no one wants to see. So if you want your apple pie to be a crowd-pleaser, make sure to cook those apples first!
What apples should not be used for apple pie?
When it comes to baking with apples, not all varieties are created equal. Apples such as Gala, Fuji, and Red Delicious may satisfy your snacking needs but won’t deliver the desired texture for pies, tarts, or cakes. These types of apples tend to become water-logged and mushy when exposed to the heat of the oven.
Should you cook fruit pie filling before baking?
Preparing your filling before baking gives you more control over its moisture levels. It might take a while longer to get everything ready since you have to prepare the filling and let it cool completely. You don’t want to ruin your pie crust by pouring hot filling into it, so be sure to give it enough time to cool down.
Should apple pie crust be prebaked?
As a culinary explorer, I have discovered that there’s no need to pre-bake the crust for an apple pie, or any baked fruit pie for that matter. However, freezing the dough can help it stay in place. It is only when making a custard pie or a fresh fruit pie that pre-baking the crust becomes necessary. In such cases, it’s ideal to use pie weights, which are immensely helpful. This way, the crust remains in shape, and the filling does not leak out. I learned this on November 18th, 2018.
with a Persuasive Text:
In conclusion, this Strawberry and Apple Pie recipe is perfect for anyone who loves the taste of fresh, juicy fruits combined in one delicious dessert. With its flaky pie crust, sweet and tangy filling, and a hint of warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, this pie is guaranteed to satisfy all your cravings for something sweet and satisfying.
Not only is this recipe relatively easy to make, but it also offers a variety of potential substitutions and variations to suit your personal preferences or dietary needs. Additionally, with its promising ingredients list such as vegan margarine and arrowroot powder, it is a fantastic vegan-friendly option.
So why not give this amazing Strawberry and Apple Pie recipe a try? Whether you’re looking for a treat to serve friends and family or planning on indulging in it by yourself – you won’t regret it. And with its make-ahead options and storing tips, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to enjoy it again and again.
Now that you know everything there is to know about this recipe, grab your ingredients list, roll up your sleeves, preheat your oven, start baking! Remember always to use high-quality ingredients and follow the recipe as close as possible. You might surprise yourself with how great of a pie baker you can be!
Strawberry and Apple Pie Recipe
- 5 large granny smith apples (peeled, cored & sliced thinly)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced in 4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot (flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- zest of one lemon
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- Preheat oven to 450ºF degrees.
- Mix together apples, brown sugar, white sugar, arrowroot flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest. When totally mixed add the sliced strawberries and mix carefully so not to break them in pieces.
- Place crust in bottom of pie plate. Fill with apple mix and dab with the 4 tablespoons vegan margarine. Cover with top crust. If you like, brush with 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cut slits in the pie for steam to escape. If you like sprinkle with some additional sugar to make the crust crunchy and sweet.
- Bake at 450ºF for 10 minutes, then turn down to 350ºF and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Or until the juices bubble out of the pie.
- You may need to cover the edges of the pie to prevent it from burning. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with some vanilla ice cream or top with whipped cream :).
- Bon Appetit!
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.