Do you love the classic, tangy flavor of Sloppy Joes? And do you also enjoy a delicious meatloaf? Well, what if I told you that you can have the best of both worlds with my Sloppy Joe Meatloaf Recipe?
This recipe is the perfect combination of two classic American dishes. It’s savory, juicy, and packed with flavor. You won’t be disappointed by this saucy meatloaf that will fill your house with the aroma of deliciousness while it cooks.
But don’t take my word for it! Give it a try and see for yourself why this Sloppy Joe Meatloaf recipe is one of the most popular dishes on my table. In this article, I’ll provide you with all the necessary details on how to make your own sloppy joe meatloaf that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. So, let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a culinary enthusiast and explorer, I have tried many meatloaf recipes. But once I discovered the sloppy joe meatloaf recipe, it has become my go-to comfort food. Here’s why you’ll love this recipe:
Firstly, this recipe is a flavorful twist on the classic meatloaf. The combination of ground beef mixed with the original sloppy joe sauce creates a savory and saucy meatloaf that’s perfect for any night of the week. The unique blend of ingredients enhances the overall texture and taste, making it utterly irresistible.
Secondly, this recipe is quick and easy to make while still delivering fantastic results. It requires only a few simple ingredients that are readily available at any local grocery store. With just one large bowl to combine all the ingredients, you can whisk together, shape your loaf, pan-bake to perfection and enjoy your delicious meal in no time.
Thirdly, one of the best things about this recipe is its versatility. You can use homemade or store-bought sloppy joe sauce – either Manwich or Simply Organic works great – depending on your preference. Besides, you can substitute ground beef for lean turkey or chicken for a healthier option.
Ultimately, this sloppy joe meatloaf recipe will satisfy all your comfort food cravings with minimum effort and maximum satisfaction. It’s an ideal dinner for satisfying hungry stomachs with minimal fuss and flavor explosion in every bite.
Once you’ve tried this recipe, I’m confident you’ll agree that it’s easy, delicious and everyone in your family will be asking for seconds!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this sloppy joe meatloaf recipe:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup manwich sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- PAM Original stick cooking spray
Sloppy Joe Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup manwich original sloppy joe sauce
The Recipe How-To
Preheat oven and prepare pan
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, take a loaf pan and coat it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 lbs of ground beef, 2 cups of bread crumbs, 1 cup of manwich original sloppy joe sauce divided, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of finely chopped yellow onion, and 1/4 cup of chopped green bell pepper. Mix all these ingredients together until they are evenly combined.
- Once the meat mixture is well-combined, add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce to it. Give it another mix for the seasoning to be evenly distributed.
Shape the meatloaf
- After you have made sure everything is mixed thoroughly, put the mixture into your prepared loaf pan. Using your hands, gently shape it into a loaf form.
Sauce and bake
- Pour the remaining manwich sauce over the top of the meatloaf, spreading it over evenly with a spoon or spatula.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for one hour, or until it is fully cooked through.
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Substitutions and Variations
There are a few ways to switch up this classic Sloppy Joe Meatloaf recipe and make it your own. Here are a few substitutions and variations that I’ve tried and would recommend:
– Lean ground turkey or chicken can replace the ground beef if you are looking for a leaner option.
– If you don’t have bread crumbs on hand, rolled oats or even crushed corn flakes make great substitutes.
– Feel free to use any type of onion that you prefer – red onion, shallots, or scallions all work well in this recipe.
– If you’re making this dish for kids, try turning it into mini meatloaves. Simply divide the mixture into muffin tins and bake for about 15 minutes until they’re cooked through.
– Make it spicy by adding a pinch of chipotle powder or some diced jalapeño to the mixture. This variation gives the meatloaf a kick of heat that’s balanced out by the sweetness of the Manwich sauce.
– For a healthier option, swap out any processed store-bought sauces for homemade versions. For example, you could use homemade tomato sauce instead of Manwich sauce.
– Add some extra veggies to the mix! Bell peppers, green peppers or even sliced mushrooms can be added to the mixture before baking.
Remember – cooking is all about being creative and mixing things up, so don’t be afraid to try something new with your meatloaf recipe!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving your sloppy joe meatloaf, there are plenty of options. As with any meatloaf recipe, you can always slice it and serve it on its own with a side of veggies or mashed potatoes. Or, for a twist on the classic sloppy joe experience, try topping each slice with a spoonful of additional sloppy joe sauce before serving.
For a more sandwich-like feel, cut thick slices of the meatloaf and place them between slices of bread (toasted is even better!) with all your favorite sandwich toppings like lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. You could even toss some shredded cheese on top for a gooey, melty addition.
As for pairing this dish with other foods, the possibilities are endless. A hearty green salad or roasted vegetables would make great side dishes that complement the savory flavors of the meatloaf. If you’re feeling indulgent, try whipping up some homemade macaroni and cheese for an ultimate comfort food feast.
If you’re looking to add some heat and spice to your meal, consider making chipotle meatloaf instead! The smoky heat in the sauce pairs perfectly with the rich, beefy flavor of the meatloaf to create a deliciously saucy meal. Additionally, this recipe could pair nicely with a glass of bold red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz.
Whatever way you choose to serve it, this sloppy joe meatloaf recipe is sure to become one of your go-to beef recipes, offering that warm and satisfying feel that classic homemade meatloaf always delivers!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
To make life easier, you can prepare this meatloaf dish in advance, save leftovers for later or reheat individual portions as needed. The sloppy joe meatloaf recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), slice up a portion of the meatloaf, and place it in an oven-safe dish. If the meatloaf is looking dry, you may sprinkle a little water on top to keep it moist. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Another option is slicing up the meatloaf and heating it up in a microwave-safe container for about 2-3 minutes, or until hot.
One of my favorite ways to use leftovers is turning them into sandwiches. Slice the meatloaf and place it between two buns, adding some extra sauce if desired. You could also serve it with some crispy fries or a fresh salad.
No matter how you choose to store or reheat your sloppy joe meatloaf, just remember that safety is key! Make sure to refrigerate leftovers promptly and discard any meat that has been sitting at room temperature for more than two hours.
Tips for Perfect Results
To make this sloppy joe meatloaf to perfection, follow these handy tips:
1. Choose the right ground beef: Use lean ground beef for a healthier option, or choose ground chuck for more flavor. The ideal is to mix both. This mixture will give you the flavor and juiciness that you’re looking for.
2. Don’t overmix: Mix the ingredients together with just enough force to disperse them evenly throughout the meatloaf, without over-working the mixture. Overmixing can result in a tough and dry meatloaf.
3. Use fresh breadcrumbs: Avoid using pre-made breadcrumbs as they may contain additives and preservatives that could alter the flavor of your meatloaf. Instead, make your own breadcrumbs using fresh bread.
4. Let it rest: Once the meatloaf is cooked, let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing it. This allows the juices to settle and redistributes them evenly throughout the meatloaf, making each slice tender and moist.
5. Add some spice: This sloppy joe meatloaf is already a flavorful dish, but if you like it with a little kick, add some chopped jalapeno peppers, green chili or chipotle powder to bring out the heat in your dish.
6. Get creative with toppings: Experiment with adding different toppings such as crumbled bacon or shredded cheese on top of the meatloaf before baking it.
7. Make it into mini Meatloafs: If you want individual portion sizes, divide the mixture into mini loaves in muffin pans.
8. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C): This ensures that your meatloaf is properly cooked through and safe to eat.
By following these simple tips, you’ll get a delicious and juicy sloppy joe meatloaf that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
In conclusion, this Sloppy Joe Meatloaf recipe is one that you don’t want to miss out on. It’s a unique twist on the classic meatloaf recipe that combines the delicious flavors of Sloppy Joes with the comfort of a hearty meatloaf.
This recipe is easy to follow and requires only a handful of ingredients, most of which you likely already have in your pantry. It’s also versatile and can be adjusted to fit any dietary preferences or restrictions.
The homemade Sloppy Joe sauce takes this recipe to the next level and is definitely worth the extra effort. Plus, the option to prepare this dish ahead of time makes it perfect for busy weeknights or meal prepping for the week ahead.
So why not switch things up and give this Sloppy Joe Meatloaf a try? You won’t be disappointed! With its flavorful blend of spices and tender ground beef, it’s sure to become a new family favorite. Trust me – your taste buds will thank you.
sloppy joe meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 can Manwich sloppy joe mix
- 1 large yellow onion (minced)
- in a large bowl combine all ingredients-do not over work the mixture as you will have a tough meatloaf.
- shape into a loaf and put in a deep baking dish.
- put in a preheated 350 degree oven on middle rack for 60-90 minutes.
- the center of the meat should reach 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.