Are you looking for a chili recipe that packs a punch of flavor and has a Texan twist? Look no further! As a culinary explorer, I am excited to share with you my Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe. This recipe offers the perfect blend of spices, veggies and meat for an authentic Texas-style chili experience that will satisfy your taste buds.
The combination of beef chuck and Budweiser beer makes for a mouth-watering base that is further enhanced by the subtle heat of dried ancho chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and Mexican oregano. The diced tomatoes and bell peppers add the perfect balance of sweetness and texture to this hearty chili.
Whether you’re a fan of traditional chili or not, this budweiser chili is bound to impress. So, grab your apron, get in the kitchen and let’s start cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a chili recipe that’s going to knock your socks off? Look no further, as Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili is sure to exceed your expectations. This dish embodies the true essence of Texas-style chili with its bold flavors and rich texture.
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is Budweiser beer – that’s right, I use beer in my chili. This gives it an extra depth of flavor that you won’t find in other chili recipes. The combination of the beer, beef chuck, and beef bouillon cubes bring out an umami taste that lingers on the tongue.
But don’t worry, this isn’t just a recipe for those who love beer. This chili has a blend of spices, including dried ancho chile powder and cumin, which adds subtle heat and complexity to the dish. And if you prefer a milder chili, you can easily adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Not only is this chili packed with flavor, but it’s also easy to make. All you need is a big pot and a few simple ingredients, such as diced tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves and bell peppers. Once they’re sautéed in canola oil until tender, add the beef and spices to the pot with water and bay leaves. Then simmer for hours to let the flavors meld together.
So whether you’re looking for comfort food or simply want to impress your guests at your next dinner party, Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili has got you covered. Trust me when I say that this authentic Texas chili recipe will leave you wanting more with every single bite.
For this Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe, you’ll need the following:
Meat and Beer:
- 2 pounds of Beef Chuck (cut into small bite-sized cubes)
- 1 can of Budweiser beer (12 oz)
Seasoning and spices:
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Mexican oregano
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 chili peppers (chopped)
- 3 dried ancho chiles (chopped; remove seeds for less heat)
- 2 green bell peppers (diced)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 3 medium onions (finely diced)
- 6 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Masa Harina (a type of corn flour used as a thickener; add as needed)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Green Onions
- Sour Cream
These ingredients are all-important for making your chili recipe taste amazing!
The Recipe How-To
Prepare the meat, vegetables and beer
Start by cutting 3 lbs. beef chuck into bite-size pieces, then season it generously with 1 tbsp. (or to taste) of your favorite chili powder, 1 tbsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. ground cumin, 2 tsp. dried ancho chile powder, 1 tbsp. Mexican oregano, and a good amount of cracked black pepper and salt.
Next, you’ll need to prepare the veggies: dice 2 green bell peppers, 2 red bell peppers, and 3 medium onions finely. Crush 6 cloves of garlic or roughly chop them if you like bigger pieces.
After you’ve prepped everything up, open a can of Budweiser beer and pour it into a pot over high heat.
Sear the meat and simmer
Heat up some canola oil in a large skillet over high heat until it starts smoking. Add the seasoned meat to the pan with tongs, not overcrowding it, and sear each piece until browned on all sides.
Transfer the seared meat into the pot with beer, then add in your diced veggies: chilies, garlic, green and red bell peppers diced 2 cans of diced tomatoes with their juice, 2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups of hot water and two bay leaves.
Let everything come to a boil while stirring occasionally; then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 hours, partially covered.
Thicken the chili with masa harina
After simmering for 3 hours, add in 1 cup of masa harina mixed with 1 cup of cold water, whisking constantly until there are no lumps left.
Simmer for an additional 30 minutes uncovered to let everything thicken up to a perfect chili consistency.
Julie’s tip: If you’re making chili for a party and want less mess, at this point you can transfer your chili into a slow cooker on low setting to keep it warm throughout the duration of your event!
Enjoy your delicious Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up on this Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try to make the recipe even more interesting and delicious!
– Meat Substitutions: While I love using beef chuck, you can absolutely use other cuts of meat such as brisket or bacon. For a lighter version, ground beef or even hot dogs can be used instead.
– Spice it Up: If you really want to step up the heat level on this chili, consider adding some diced jalapenos or habaneros for an extra kick. You can also swap out the ancho chile powder for chipotle powder or paprika.
– Beanless Chili: For an authentic Texas-style chili con carne, you can leave out the beans in this recipe. If you really like beans in your chili, however, feel free to add in a can of chili beans or kidney beans.
– Beer Substitutions: While Budweiser beer is a key ingredient in this recipe, you can certainly use other types of beer such as Shiner Bock or Lone Star for different flavor profiles.
– Slow Cooker Texas Chili: This recipe is perfect for stove-top cooking, but if you’re looking to set-it-and-forget-it, then convert it into a slow cooker recipe! Simply sear the meat first then put all ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
No matter how you choose to modify your Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe, be sure to have fun experimenting and tasting all the different possibilities!
Serving and Pairing
Texas Budweiser Chili is a warm and satisfying dish that truly hits the spot on a chilly day. It’s delicious and savory, and it pairs well with various accompaniments. One of the best ways to serve this appetizing chili is with crusty bread or tortilla chips, which offer a wonderful contrast in texture to the tender beef and perfectly cooked beans.
Many folks also love to top their chili off with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, avocado or fresh herbs. These toppings add a nice flavor and texture dimension to the chili, while also giving it an appealing pop of color.
One could also pair this recipe with different sides, beverages or snacks that complement its bold flavors. Consider serving it alongside a cold beer or a glass of red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah for an enhanced taste experience. Alternatively, try serving it with sweet cornbread or fluffy rice pilaf to soak up all the savory juices of the chili.
If you’re up for something spicier, mix up some fiery guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, or zesty salsa on the side. These tasty dips make perfect sense when paired with Texas-style chili since they add bold flavors that complement the hearty quality of this dish.
Regardless of your choice of pairing or method of service, one thing is certain- your taste buds are about to go wild with this luscious and authentic Texan delight! Don’t be afraid to get creative and experiment with your favorite flavor combos until you find the perfect complement for your version of Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re like me, you appreciate meals that can be made ahead of time, stored and reheated later. The Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe is perfect for this. It can be made one or two days before you plan to serve it and it tastes just as good (if not better) reheated.
To make-ahead, simply prepare the chili following the recipe instructions and refrigerate it in an airtight container. When ready to serve, heat it in a saucepan over low heat until hot. Add a splash of water or beer if the chili seems too thick.
Storing the chili is simple too. You can refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days, or freeze them for up to three months. When reheating from frozen, thaw the chili overnight in the fridge, then reheat as directed above.
One tip for reheating I recommend is to stir in some fresh ingredients to revive the flavors. You could add chopped green onions, sliced avocado, shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream. These toppings are delicious and will add texture and color to your dish.
Overall, Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe is a great option if you’re looking for a hearty meal that can be made ahead and doesn’t require much work to reheat later.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best results when making Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe, follow these tips:
First and foremost, make sure to use high-quality ingredients. Opt for fresh produce whenever possible to ensure maximum flavor. Also, make sure to use good quality beer, such as Budweiser, which will complement the hearty flavors of the chili.
When it comes to the beef chuck, be sure to trim off any excess fat before cooking. This will not only improve the texture of the final dish but also reduce the risk of burning or scorching.
Additionally, let the chili simmer low and slow for several hours. This allows all the flavors of the ingredients to meld and develop. You can even prepare this chili recipe in a slow cooker over a longer period for a more intense flavor.
Another key tip is to add only a small amount of salt at first instead of adding it all at once. Taste along the way and adjust your seasoning accordingly.
Finally, don’t forget about using masa harina as it will help thicken the chili sauce; and if you want an extra kick, crush some tortilla chips and sprinkle them on top right before serving.
By following these easy tips, you’ll be able not just to create Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe but make an exquisite one every time that will have your family requesting more!
Now that you know all the ins and outs of Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe, it’s time to answer some common questions about this delicious dish. Below are some frequently asked questions that may come up as you prepare your own batch of this authentic Texas-style chili.
What is the difference between Texas chili and regular chili?
When it comes to chili, Texas has its own distinct version that sets it apart from others. The Lone Star State’s chili recipe is known for its absence of beans and tomato sauce, which are commonly found in other varieties. Instead, it relies on a rich and flavorful paste made from dried peppers, combined with tender cuts of meat, to create its unique taste.
What is the secret to great chili?
Spices and beverages can add unique flavors to your dishes that you might not expect. For example, instead of sticking to the usual herbs, try adding cocoa powder or cinnamon to your savory dishes. Similarly, don’t limit yourself to using water or stock as your liquid base; beer can be a delicious substitute. And don’t forget about coffee as an ingredient; it can add depth and richness to your sauces and marinades.
Can you put a can of beer in chili?
When it comes to making a flavorful chili, using beer as an ingredient can make a significant difference in taste and texture. Even if you are not someone who regularly drinks beer, it is worth considering using it in your chili recipe. The sugars and malty flavors provided by beer are unique and cannot be replicated by any other ingredient, making it an essential addition to any chili recipe.
Why Texas chili has no beans?
Texans have a strong aversion towards incorporating beans into their chili. The reason behind this belief is that beans are not a part of the original recipe and detract from the overall taste of the dish. Additionally, Texans place a great deal of importance on the quality and authenticity of their chili.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a hearty and delicious meal, then there is no better option than Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe. With its rich and bold flavor, authentic Texas style, and easy-to-follow instructions, this chili recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Using high-quality ingredients like beef chuck, Budweiser beer, and dried ancho chile powder, this recipe delivers on taste every time. Plus, with the versatility to substitute or vary ingredients to suit your tastes, it’s a highly customizable recipe that can be made time and again.
Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a big batch for entertaining guests, this chili recipe is perfect. So give it a try and experience the magic of Texas-style chili for yourself. Once you taste Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe, you’ll be hooked!
Q’s Texas Budweiser Chili Recipe
- 3 medium onions, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 dried ancho chiles, seeds removed
- 3 dried arbol chilies, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno, whole
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles Budweiser beer
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cubed
- 1 lb chuck (chili grind)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Boil 2 1/2 cups water and remove from heat. Steep the ancho chilies for 30 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp canola oil to heavy, cast-iron dutch oven. Brown chuck in small batches. Avoid overcrowding as it causes the meat to steam. Set aside. Brown ground chuck. Set aside.
- In same dutch oven, saute' onions, peppers, and garlic until onions become translucent and peppers become tender. Add the cumin and stir for one additional minute.
- Add the Budweiser, sirloin, chuck, beef bouillon, tomatoes, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, 1-2 whole jalapenos, and bay leaves. Stir well. Additional Budweiser may be added if needed to just cover the mixture.
- Place the steeped ancho chilies and it's liquid into a blender and blend well. Add this mixture to the dutch oven.
- Cook low and slow, covered for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Raise the heat and bring to a medium boil. Whisk the 2 tbsp masa harina with cold water and slowly stir mixture into chili. Bring back up to slow boil and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves. Allow to set up for at least 30 minutes. Top with finely diced onion and grated sharp cheddar! Enjoy with a cold Budweiser and some great skillet cornbread!
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.