Are you tired of the same old chili recipe? Do you want to step up your game and try something new and exciting? Look no further than my Venison & Pork Chili recipe!
As a self-proclaimed culinary explorer, I have discovered that combining venison and pork creates a delicious and unique flavor that will leave your taste buds dancing. This hearty and spicy chili recipe is perfect for any occasion and is sure to impress your family and friends.
Not only does this recipe offer a tantalizing taste experience, but using venison as a meat source also has many health benefits. It is leaner than beef, meaning it is lower in fat and calories while being high in protein. Additionally, the unique flavor of venison adds an extra depth to the chili that cannot be replicated by other meats.
So get ready to try something tasty, tasty with my Venison & Pork Chili recipe. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This Venison & Pork Chili recipe is a perfect balance of flavors that you’ll love. The combination of tender venison and juicy pork makes for a rich and hearty chili that satisfies your taste buds with every spoonful. But what really sets this recipe apart are the secret ingredients: strong coffee and dark chocolate! These additions create an epic flavor that is truly unique and unforgettable.
If you’re looking to impress guests or simply crave a delicious meal, then you are in for a treat with this dish. The aroma alone will leave your mouthwatering, the mixture of spices combined with the meat’s richness, making your heart warm during colder seasons or everyday family dinners. And what’s even better is that it can easily become spicier by adjusting the cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to your taste.
Whether you’re a chili enthusiast or looking for something new, this recipe is sure to be a hit. It’s also a perfect meal prep go-to for busy individuals who crave delightful comfort food options during their lunch breaks.
So go ahead and give it a try! You won’t regret diving into this stew with some white kidney beans, red kidney beans, and chopped bell peppers then topping it all off with some Monterey Jack Cheese and green onions. This high protein bowl will leave you satisfied and ready to take on your next adventure!
– 1 lb ground venison
– 1 lb ground pork
– 1 onion, large Spanish chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, large minced
– 2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 tablespoon ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon dried oregano
– 1 tablespoon ground coriander
– ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– Pinch allspice
– 2 cups beef broth
– 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
– 1 can stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
– 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
– 1 green bell pepper, diced
– Green onions, chopped for serving
– 1 can red kidney beans (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed
– 1 can white kidney beans (15.5 oz), drained and rinsed
– Monterey Jack cheese, shredded for serving
– Tabasco sauce, to taste
– Red pepper flakes, to taste
– Sea salt and pepper, to taste
This recipe requires a combination of venison and pork to create a unique flavor profile. The aromatics used in this recipe are minced garlic cloves and chopped large Spanish onion. The perfect balance of spice is achieved through the use of chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, dried oregano, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, allspice, and a little bit of salt and pepper. For the base liquidity, you will need a delicious combination of beef broth, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and a few splashes of __cider vinegar_. To enhance the final flavor of the chili, add diced green bell pepper in addition to, chopped green onions It won’t be chili without the red and white kidney beans! Be sure to have both on hand as they play a crucial role in adding texture to the dish. Top it off with some deliciously melted creamy shredded Monterey Jack Cheese. To build up more heat use Tabasco sauce or red pepper flakes.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s dive into the how-to of this Tasty Tasty Venison and Pork Chili recipe. Follow these steps to create a delicious and hearty meal that will impress your friends and family.
Before starting with the recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients at hand, so you don’t miss anything important. Once you have all the ingredients, it’s time to prepare them for cooking.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves
- Chop 1 onion (large Spanish)
- Cut 1 bell pepper into small pieces
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and chopped onion, cook for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add 1 pound of ground venison and 1 pound of ground pork to the pot.
- Brown the meat until no longer pink, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat from the pot.
- Add in 2 cans of tomato sauce, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes (with juice), and 2 cups of beef broth.
- Then add in 1 can of white kidney beans and 1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper.
- Stir in all seasonings: 2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 3 dashes Tabasco sauce, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon sea salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil on high heat then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.
Additional Steps for Extra Flavor
For an extra burst of flavor:
- Add a strong cup of coffee or espresso in step 6 for depth that only coffee can bring, and revel at how it makes the chili taste a bit more sublime.
- In step 9, add ½ square bittersweet chocolate or cocoa powder — about 2 tablespoons or so — to give depth to the flavor profile.
Garnish with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sliced green onions. Serve hot with your favorite crusty bread or tortilla chips.
Enjoy your homemade Tasty Tasty Venison & Pork Chili!
Substitutions and Variations
While this recipe is already flavorful and delicious, there are several substitutions and variations that you can make to enhance or personalize the flavor profile to your liking. Here are some suggestions:
– Substitute the ground venison with ground beef, ground chicken, or turkey for a milder taste.
– For a spicier kick, increase the amount of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or Tabasco sauce to your desired level of heat tolerance.
– You can also substitute white kidney beans for black beans or any other type of beans of your choice, depending on your preference or availability.
– If you prefer a thicker chili consistency, add in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of cold water to thicken the chili towards the end of cooking.
– Try adding in 1/4 cup of strong coffee or 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips to give the chili a slight bitterness which gives a new depth and dimension to the flavor profile.
– You can also swap out the monterey jack cheese with cheddar cheese or any other type of cheese you like, as long as it melts well.
Remember that the key to making this recipe truly your own lies in experimenting with flavors that you enjoy. There are many different ways to customize this recipe based on your personal preferences. The sky’s the limit when it comes to making your venison and pork chili unique and delicious!
Serving and Pairing
This venison and pork chili recipe has a spicy kick and bold flavor that pairs perfectly with hearty sides. For a complete meal, consider serving this chili with white rice, cornbread or tortilla chips. The starchiness of these sides balances out the heat of the chili, while also offering a diverse range of textures.
Looking for healthier options? Try serving it with sliced carrots or bell peppers for some added crunch and freshness. Alternatively, you can pair this dish with sliced avocados, dollops of sour cream or greek yogurt. These toppings are perfect for adding richness to the dish without compromising its savory profile.
If you’re looking to elevate this dish, consider serving it with a bold red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec. The tannins in red wine work to complement the spice in the chili and enhance its robust flavors.
For those who prefer lighter beverages, a refreshing beer with citrus notes like an IPA or wheat beer also make a great pairing. The carbonation in beer adds an acidic flavor that can help cut through the spicy heat of the chili.
Whether enjoyed as a hearty meal or an appetizing snack, this tasty venison and pork chili recipe is sure to win your guests over with its bold flavors and versatility.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about my tasty tasty venison and pork chili recipe is its versatility. It is perfect for preparing ahead and storing for later, and the flavors actually improve when given time to meld together.
To make-ahead, prepare the chili as directed in the recipe and let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, simply thaw overnight in the fridge (if frozen) and reheat on low heat on the stovetop, stirring occasionally until heated through. Alternatively, microwave individual portions until heated through.
For quick lunches or busy weeknights, portion out individual servings into meal prep containers and store in the fridge for easy grab-and-go meals throughout the week.
When reheating your chili, consider adding some fresh ingredients like chopped green onions or shredded Monterey Jack cheese. These simple additions can really brighten up the flavors and make it seem like you had just cooked it fresh.
Note that as this is a slow-cooked dish with meat, you should take care not to reheat it too many times as it may become tough or dry out. But if stored correctly and reheated gently on low heat, every bite is still as tasty as the last!
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best possible results for my tasty tasty venison and pork chili recipe, keep these helpful tips in mind.
Firstly, I recommend using a combination of ground venison and ground pork for the ultimate flavor experience. This mix creates a perfect balance of gamey and bold flavors, while also achieving a tender texture that’s not too chewy or tough.
Once you’ve browned the meat, a crucial step is to add plenty of aromatics to your mixture to help enhance the natural flavors. A generous amount of garlic and onion can make a real difference, so make sure to mince them finely and sauté until fragrant.
To add an extra layer of complexity to the dish, consider incorporating some dark chocolate or strong coffee into your recipe. These unexpected additions pair surprisingly well with the rich spices in the chili mixture.
Another trick is to use beef broth instead of water when cooking your chili. This helps to mellow out the intense flavors in the dish and provides a base that brings all the flavors together.
Lastly, do not forget about salt. Sea salt might be your best bet as it will definitely carry a distinct flavor while kosher salt is less likely but more flexible for different types of dishes. Salt is key in balancing all other seasoning ingredients.
Remembering these tips will ensure that you end up with a delicious, hearty venison and pork chili that’s bursting with flavorful goodness.
Once you’ve followed the recipe and cooked your venison pork chili, you might have some lingering inquiries. In this section, we’ve rounded up some of the most commonly asked questions about this tasty recipe to help ensure you have perfect results every time. From substitutions and variations to storage and reheating advice, we’ve got you covered with all the essential tips you need to know before beginning your chili-making journey.
What is the secret to award winning chili?
When it comes to cooking with spices, it’s essential to bring out their bold flavors to achieve a delicious dish. To do this, it’s important to bloom your spices by adding them early in the cooking process, while browning the meat or sautéing the onions. This technique allows the spices to release their essential oils, which infuses the dish with a depth of flavor that can’t be achieved by adding them at the end. So, don’t wait, let’s bloom those spices and take your culinary skills to the next level!
What pork to mix with venison?
When it comes to choosing a meat option for this recipe, pork belly is a great choice for those who don’t enjoy the taste of venison. However, it is worth noting that pork belly can be quite overpowering and may mask the flavor of any lean cuts used in your dish. To balance out the flavors, consider using fatback as an alternative. While beef suet can also be used, pork tends to offer better texture and taste.
How do you make deer chili not taste gamey?
When it comes to cooking game meat, there are a few ways to make the meat tender and less gamey. One effective method is to let the meat soak in milk for 24 hours prior to cooking. This helps to tenderize the meat and remove some of the gaminess. Another approach is to add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the pan while cooking. The acidity of the vinegar also works to tenderize the meat and mitigate the gamey flavor. So, if you want to turn your game meat dish into a mouthwatering feast, try out these tricks.
What gives chili the best flavor?
To enhance the rich taste of chili, the addition of certain ingredients can make a significant difference. Cinnamon, strong coffee, and dark chocolate are some excellent options that can intensify the flavor profile of your dish. Some options for using them include adding 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1 cinnamon stick, a shot of espresso or a small cup of strong coffee, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, or a few squares of high-quality dark chocolate. These ingredients can enhance the aroma and taste of your chili, adding depth and complexity to every bite.
So there you have it, my delectable venison and pork chili recipe. It’s a dish that reflects my passion for cooking and exploration of flavors. The combination of ingredients creates a depth of flavor that is hard to beat.
As you try out this recipe, don’t be afraid to add your own spin to it. The best dishes come from experimentation and personalization. And remember, this is not just any one-dimensional chili recipe—this is a perfectly balanced mingling of venison and pork that will keep you and your loved ones coming back for more.
I hope my recipe inspired you to explore new culinary territory and get creative in the kitchen. So grab your apron, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get cooking!
My Tasty Tasty Venison & Pork Chili Recipe
- 1 lb ground venison
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, large, Spanish, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, large, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper, sweet (green or red or yellow or or orange)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sea salt, coarse
- 3 -4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons chili powder, Mexican
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, New Mexico, hot dried
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 2 fresh bay leaves (or 1 dried leaf)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, drained (1 can)
- 19 ounces white kidney beans, drained (1 can)
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (garnish)
- 1/2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded (garnish)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (garnish)
- In a large pan saute the onions and garlic in oil and butter until they are limp and golden.
- Next add the ground venison & pork, stirring until well browned.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients except for the beans and cook on high for 5 minutes making sure to stir constantly at this stage.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the drained kidney beans and stir to blend the flavors together.
- Place the chili in a slow cooker on low and cook for 2 - 3 hours.
- Cook until the chili is thickened and rich in flavor.
- Remember to taste your chili as it’s cooking to see if you need to adjust your seasonings.
- Adjust the spices accordingly and add more liquid if the mixture gets too dry.
- Top with a mixture of shredded cheddar & Monterey jack cheese & thinly sliced green onions.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.