As an avid culinary explorer, I have always been fascinated by the way food can bring people from various cultural backgrounds and experiences together. One dish that has always caught my attention is Mexican cornbread – a cheesy, spicy twist on the classic southern staple that has delighted taste buds for generations.
With its perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors, moist texture and savory cheese, Mexican cornbread has cemented itself as a favorite amongst those looking for an easy and delicious recipe that’s sure to impress at any gathering. This dish packs a punch with its fiery jalapenos and spicy taco seasoning, making it the perfect side dish to pair with chili or even as a standalone snack.
Originally rooted in Native American cuisine, cornbread has long been a family favorite across various regions of America. However, with the addition of flavorful ingredients such as cheese, peppers and herbs, the creation of Mexican cornbread has gained quite the reputation for being an irresistible and mouth-watering treat.
Whether you’re trying to add some heat and excitement to your dinner table or delighting guests at a party with a golden-hued stuffed variation, this easy-to-follow recipe will surely become a staple in your cookbook. So dust off your cast-iron skillet, preheat your oven and prepare to indulge in one of the most authentic and delicious recipes you’ll ever come across – Mexican Cornbread!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of Southern and authentic dishes, look no further than this Mexican Cornbread recipe. This easy-to-make recipe is perfect whether you’re serving a crowd, bringing it to a potluck, or simply enjoying a cozy night in.
This cheesy and moist cornbread packs a punch with a spicy jalapeno kick that will leave your taste buds begging for more. The combination of melted sharp cheddar cheese and cream style corn creates a rich and savory taste that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
What’s more, this recipe is versatile – try incorporating ground beef to make meaty stuffed Mexican Cornbread or adding different veggies like red bell peppers and green onions for added flavor.
And don’t worry if you’re not an experienced cook, this recipe is easy to follow with clear instructions that will guide you through the baking process. Once you’ve tried this Mexican Cornbread, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it.
This recipe calls for a combination of traditional cornmeal and flour to give the Mexican Cornbread a perfect blend of southern-style flavor with a spicy twist. Here are all the ingredients required to make an authentic and delicious Mexican Cornbread that will have everyone’s taste buds dancing.
- 2 cups of self-rising cornmeal flour (mix 1)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- ¾ cup white sugar (mix 2)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (15 oz) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped spring onions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
These ingredients are versatile enough to add your desired meat and veggie selection, such as stuffed Mexican style with jalapenos or ground beef.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone over the ingredients, it is time to start baking the Mexican Cornbread. Follow these instructions carefully to achieve a delicious and flavorful result every time.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish or a cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
- Add the finely chopped onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and sliced spring onions. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes), then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the two different mixes (Muffin Mix and Cornbread Mix) and stir until fully combined.
- Add the already cooked vegetables (from step 4) into the mixing bowl.
- Then add 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1 can of cream-style corn, 4 beaten eggs, and a cup of milk.
- Mix thoroughly until smooth and no large lumps remain in the batter.
- Slowly fold in one cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish or cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes at 350°F (175°C) or until done.
- While still hot, brush with melted butter and sprinkle on more shredded cheddar cheese for an extra cheesy kick!
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
This Mexican Cornbread is perfect for any meal or gathering! Serve it as a side dish with chili, stew, soup, or any other favorite dish you love to pair with bread! The cheesy, spicy and corn-infused flavor makes this recipe hard to resist!
Don’t be afraid to experiment! For an even more authentic Mexican flavor, serve with fresh jalapeño peppers or top with sour cream !
Enjoy your delicious homemade Mexican cornbread!
Substitutions and Variations
Mexican cornbread recipe is flexible, and you can easily customize it to suit your taste preferences. Here are some substitution and variation ideas that you can try to make your cornbread extra special:
– Meat Substitutions: Ground beef is a popular option to add a meaty texture to your Mexican cornbread, but you can also substitute other meats such as turkey, chicken, or pork. You can even use vegetarian options like tofu, tempeh or beans.
– Cheese Substitutions: Sharp cheddar cheese provides an excellent flavor for this dish, but you can use other types of cheese too. Mexican blend cheese or Pepper Jack also add some delicious kick to your cornbread. Another creative option is to mix in some cream cheese or feta cheese.
– Spicy vs. Sweet: If you like your cornbread spicy, you can increase the heat with some additional jalapeno peppers, hot sauce or taco seasoning. On the other hand, if you prefer a sweet taste, white sugar is an excellent addition that pairs well with the corn and balances out the spiciness of other ingredients.
– Mix Variations: This recipe calls for Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and all-purpose flour, but you could also try using only cornmeal flour for a more traditional Southern style of cornbread. You can also use muffin mix instead of Jiffy mix or experiment with adding different grains like quinoa, bulger wheat or millet.
– Add-ins: Mexican cornbread casserole could be stuffed with additional ingredients such as diced tomatoes, black beans, olives or avocado for added flavor and moisture. Fresh herbs like cilantro or basil give it a fresh twist while spring onions or red bell pepper boost color and texture.
By experimenting with different substitutions and variations in your Mexican cornbread recipe, you’ll soon come up with your unique signature flavor that will wow your guests every time!
Serving and Pairing
Mexican cornbread is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for any meal of the day. Serve it as a side dish with your favorite soup or chili or as a standalone entree paired with a fresh green salad for a satisfying meal. It is also perfect for potluck gatherings and backyard barbecues where you want to add some southern flair to the menu.
To complete the meal, I recommend pairing this cheesy and spicy cornbread with a refreshing glass of cold iced tea or lemonade. The sweetness of the drink will complement the spicy flavors of the cornbread, creating the ultimate flavor explosion in your mouth.
Another great pairing idea is to serve Mexican cornbread alongside some homemade guacamole and salsa for a true Mexican dining experience. The creaminess and freshness of guacamole and salsa provide balance to the cheesy and meaty flavors of the cornbread.
For breakfast or brunch, try toasting leftover slices of Mexican cornbread in a cast-iron skillet and topping them with scrambled eggs and bacon. This satisfying breakfast dish will keep you full and energized throughout the day.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this authentic and easy Mexican cornbread recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone asking for seconds!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
I recommend making this Mexican Cornbread recipe ahead of time if you want to cut down on preparation time before your meal. Once baked, allow the cornbread cool to room temperature before wrapping it securely in plastic wrap, then foil. You can refrigerate it for up to 2 days or freeze it for up to a month. When it’s time to serve, simply reheat it in the oven (if frozen, thaw it overnight in the fridge) on a low heat, covered loosely with foil until warmed through.
If you have any leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3-4 days. I suggest reheating your leftover cornbread in the microwave or oven for no more than 20 seconds per slice to maintain its moist texture.
One thing you should keep in mind when reheating is that the cheese topping can melt and become chewy if overheated. So be careful not to overdo it! Enjoy your cheesy, Southern-style Mexican Cornbread anytime you want a spicy and delicious comfort food treat.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making Mexican cornbread, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve the best results. Here are some recommendations that will help ensure your cornbread comes out flavorful, moist, and perfectly golden.
Firstly, the key to a great Mexican cornbread is to make sure it’s moist. Adding cream-style corn and shredded cheese, like sharp cheddar, can help keep your cornbread moist while adding flavor. Additionally,cornmeal flour is what makes cornbread distinctively soft, light, and tender rather than crumbly. A good ratio for an authentic Mexican blend is one part flour and two parts cornmeal.
Another tip for perfect results is to use quality ingredients. Using fresh vegetables like spring onions, red and green bell peppers, and onions can add a lot of flavor to your cornbread. As for the cheese, it’s best to use freshly grated cheese instead of pre-shredded because it will melt better and create a creamier texture.
To achieve a fluffy, light texture in your Mexican cornbread or muffins , don’t overmix the batter; try folding everything together just until it’s uniformly combined. Overmixing can result in baked goods that are tough or rubbery.
Using a cast iron skillet can also make a difference in the baking process. Cast iron heats evenly and holds heat well, resulting in a perfect golden crust around the edges and bottom of your cornbread.
Finally, when testing your cornbread’s doneness with a toothpick, insert it into the center of the bread or muffin . If it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached, your bread or muffin s are ready. Overcooking your Mexican cornbread will make it dry and crumbly rather than moist.
By following these tips for perfect results, you’ll be able to make an amazing Mexican cornbread recipe every time.
Now that you have learned all the details of making Mexican Cornbread Recipe, there might be some uncertainties that you need clarification on. This FAQ section will address some of the frequently asked questions, giving you helpful tips to guide you along with your cooking process.
Does Mexico have cornbread?
Mexican cornbread, also known as pan de elote, has a distinct texture and flavor that sets it apart from traditional American cornbread. Unlike its American counterpart, the batter for pan de elote has a wet consistency, with only a small amount of flour used, and is sweetened with condensed milk instead of sugar. This results in a deliciously moist and sweet corn cake that is a staple in Mexican cuisine.
What goes with Mexican cornbread?
As a food enthusiast, I am always on the lookout for new cuisines that are delicious and easy to make. The dishes that grab my attention are the ones that have a rich history and a unique taste. Among my favorites are chili con carne, oven-fried chicken, pork sausage skillet dinner, and homemade bean soup. These dishes are perfect for a hearty meal and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Other scrumptious sides to complement these meals include cream cheese, spaghetti with sauce, honey, and jalapeno cornbread muffins. In this recipe article, I will provide you with step-by-step instructions, tips, and recommendations on each of these mouth-watering dishes. Are you ready to begin your culinary adventure? Then let’s get started!
What ingredient keeps cornbread from crumbling?
Achieving a moist and less crumbly texture in cornbread can be made possible by incorporating oil and sour cream into the recipe. This tip can come in handy on Jan 23, 2023.
What race makes cornbread?
The origins of cornbread in America can be traced back to the indigenous people who discovered that drying or roasting corn and grinding it into meal made for a nutritious base for bread, cakes and porridge. These savvy individuals introduced the concept to the first settlers, who subsequently came to rely on cornmeal as a crucial source of sustenance in their early years.
In conclusion, this Mexican Cornbread Recipe is a must-try for any culinary explorer out there. With its combination of sweet and spicy flavors, this southern and authentic dish is perfect for any occasion. Whether you want to enjoy it as a side dish or make it the star of your meal, this recipe will not disappoint.
With its easy-to-follow instructions and versatile ingredient list, you can tailor this recipe to your liking and make substitutions or variations that fit your taste buds. It can also be made ahead of time, stored, and reheated quickly.
Lastly, the tips included in this article will help you achieve the perfect results every time. From using a cast iron skillet to making sure your ingredients are at room temperature, these little adjustments can greatly impact the outcome of your Mexican cornbread.
Don’t hesitate to give this recipe a try – you won’t regret it! Impress your family and friends at your next gathering with this cheesy, moist and delicious dish!
Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal (I prefer White Lily)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (chopped)
- 2 spring onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Divide oil and coat 2 iron skillets. Place skilets in oven to preheat oil while oven is preheating.
- Mix all the ingredients in order on list and stir in each item. Add hot oil from skillets to mixture last. Mixture shouldsizzle a little and pans should sizzle when you pur misture mix into them. Pour mixture in skillets and bake in oven for 1 hour.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.