Are you searching for a new flavor to add to your dishes? Look no further than this delicious and versatile Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe.
Lemongrass is a fragrant, zesty herb commonly used in Vietnamese and Thai cuisine. When combined with sweet chili and other ingredients, it creates a unique flavor profile that will elevate any dish. This sauce can be used as a dipping sauce, marinade or salad dressing, making it perfect for grilled meats, seafood or vegetables.
With just a few simple ingredients such as garlic cloves, lemongrass stalks, chili peppers and fish sauce, you can create this flavorful sauce to enhance your culinary creations. And the best part? This recipe is quick and easy to make!
So why not add some excitement to your next meal with this Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe? Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a recipe that tantalizes your taste buds and packs a punch of flavor? Look no further than this lemongrass sweet chili sauce recipe.
This versatile sauce is sure to complement any dish you fancy – be it meat, salad, fish or veggies. Its unique blend of sweet and tangy flavors with a hint of spice, and the fragrant aroma from the lemongrass, makes it a standout condiment that will truly elevate your dishes.
Moreover, this sauce is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients such as white sugar, fish sauce, rice vinegar, chili peppers, and of course, lemongrass. With just a little bit of prep work, you’ll have a delicious sauce on hand that can turk even the simplest meal into something special.
Not only is this recipe mouth-watering and easy, but it also offers several health benefits – lemongrass is known to help fight off infection and promote digestion while adding essential vitamins like Vitamin A and C.
So whether you are grilling up some chicken or fish for a summer BBQ or simply adding some extra zing to your favorite salad dressing or stir-fry dish, you can’t go wrong with the satisfying, savory explosion of flavors in this lemongrass sweet chili sauce.
Before diving into the recipe, it is essential to have a complete and detailed list of ingredients. For this Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe, we will need:
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 long red chili peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup sherry wine
The first step in any recipe is to gather all the ingredients beforehand. To make sure you are prepared, ensure you have enough of each ingredient by measuring or weighing them. Note that some components, such as lemongrass and garlic, needs to be finely chopped or processed in a food processor before being added. Also, if you want to make substitutions or changes to the recipe or if you have specific dietary requirements, make sure to double-check before starting.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the introduction and reasons why this Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce recipe is worth cooking, it’s time to get on with the how-to recipe section.
Gather the Ingredients
Before you start preparing the Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce, make sure that you have all your ingredients handy next to you as working with chili peppers can be quite messy.
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 cup of fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 long red chili pepper
- 1 tbsp of sherry wine
- 8 oz sweet chili sauce
Prepping the Ingredients
The next step is to prepare all your ingredients for cooking. It is important to finely chop and mince all your ingredients, especially the lemongrass as it has a tough exterior that may not soften if not cut properly. Begin by crushing and slicing the garlic cloves, cutting the chili pepper into small pieces and removing its seeds. Then use a sharp knife or food processor to finely chop the lemongrass stalks, making sure to discard any dry or tough layers.
In a pot, add water and bring it to a boil before adding in rice vinegar and sugar to make sure they dissolve completely.
Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the fish sauce and chopped garlic into the pot. Allow this mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
Next, stir in pre-chopped lemongrass and chopped chili pepper, plus 1 tablespoon of sherry wine or another vinegar of your choice.
Cook everything together another for 15 minutes over low heat. The sauce will reduce a bit during this time and become thicker in consistency.
Lastly stir in 8 oz sweet chili sauce into your mixture above until well combined.
And there you have it! Your homemade Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce recipe is ready, transfer it into an air-tight jar or container for storage until needed. Keep in mind that homemade sauces may thicken up after cooling down or over time once stored, but adding a dash of water before use should help reach desired fluidity.
Stay tuned for our next section on substitutions and variations you can use based on preferences or dietary restrictions!
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to switch things up? Here are some substitutions and variations for this lemongrass sweet chili sauce recipe that will add a new twist of flavor.
– Swap out the white sugar for brown sugar or honey, depending on your preference. This will give the sauce a deeper, richer taste.
– Exchange the fish sauce for soy sauce if you prefer a milder sauce. However, keep in mind that soy sauce is saltier than fish sauce, so adjust seasoning accordingly.
– If you can’t find fresh lemongrass, substitute it with ½ teaspoon of dried lemongrass. The dried version is less fragrant but still provides a hint of lemongrass flavor.
– For a spicier version, mince one or two long red chili peppers and add them to the food processor along with the other ingredients. Alternatively, drizzle some chili oil over the sauce before serving.
– Give this sauce an extra zing by adding some lime juice or zest. Start with a tablespoon of freshly-squeezed lime juice and adjust according to taste.
– For those avoiding fodmap, swap the garlic cloves for garlic-infused oil or omit it entirely.
– This flavorful sauce can be used as a salad dressing, marinade or dipping sauce; try it drizzled over grilled lemongrass chicken breast or mixed into Vietnamese-style sate sauce.
Don’t be afraid to get creative! With these substitutions and variations, you can easily customize this versatile sauce recipe to your personal taste preferences.
Serving and Pairing
Lemongrass sweet chili sauce is a versatile complement to many dishes, making it a favorite among foodies. The sauce’s perfect balance of sweetness and spiciness makes it an excellent pairing with grilled chicken, seafood, dumplings, or spring rolls. It also adds a unique flavor to rice or noodles, transforming any ordinary meal into an exotic feast.
For the best pairing, I suggest serving lemongrass sweet chili sauce with grilled lemongrass chicken breast, Thai chicken thighs or red snapper. The sate sauce-like consistency allows you to baste the meat as it cooks, giving it a subtle flavor that will wow your taste buds. Alternatively, you can use it as a salad dressing or dipping sauce for spring rolls to add zing.
Furthermore, for those who love spicy food, you can incorporate chili oil into this recipe to make for a spicy version of the sauce that pairs well with grilled meats or stir-fry dishes.
Overall, the versatility of this dish is amazing – from fresh vegetables to seafood and meats – it never fails to surprise an eager appetite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks. The flavors of the sauce will continue to blend together, giving it a richer taste as it sits.
When storing the sauce, make sure to transfer it into an airtight container or a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. This will prevent any air from getting in and causing the sauce to spoil.
If you plan on reheating the sauce, you can simply warm it up in a small saucepan over low heat until it is heated through. Be careful not to overcook and reduce too much or its texture will suffer. You can also quickly refresh the flavors by adding a bit more fish sauce, sugar, or chili pepper as needed.
This sweet chili lemongrass sauce is perfect for preparations that require dipping sauces such as spring rolls, meatballs, and many others; however, it could also be used as salad dressing or as a marinade for grilled chicken (such as lemongrass chicken breast or Thai chicken thighs) or grilled red snapper.
Overall, this flavorful and versatile sauce is definitely worth making in advance!
Tips for Perfect Results
One of the keys to making a delicious Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce is to properly balance its flavors. Here are some tips to ensure your sauce tastes amazing every time:
– Finely chop the lemongrass: As lemongrass can be tough if not chopped properly, it is important to finely chop it before adding it into the food processor or stir-frying with the chili peppers.
– Adjust sweetness level: If you prefer a sweeter sauce, feel free to add more white sugar. However, if it becomes too sweet, adjust it back by adding in rice vinegar or a squeeze of lime juice.
– Go easy on fish sauce: While fish sauce provides a umami flavor crucial to the overall taste of this recipe, too much of it can also overpower other flavors. Adding the sauce gradually and taste testing along the way is key.
– Quality ingredients lead to quality results: Using high-quality ingredients such as fresh garlic cloves and sherry wine can contribute to a more robust and flavorful end result.
– Cater spiciness level to personal preference: Those who enjoy a spicier kick can add more long red chili peppers or chili oil, while those with milder preferences can use Thai sweet chili instead.
By following these tips, your Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce will undoubtedly delight your taste buds and keep you coming back for more.
Before trying out this delicious Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe, you may have some questions running through your mind. Fortunately, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions and provided detailed answers that address any concerns you may have. Read on to discover more about variations, substitutions, storing, and reheating tips needed to make perfect lemongrass sweet chili sauce every time!
What is lemongrass sauce made of?
To create a tangy, flavorful sauce, start by mixing vinegar, sugar, water, fish sauce, and lime juice in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil, then add lemongrass and lime leaf and let it simmer for half a minute. Take the saucepan off the stove and cool it in a bowl filled with ice and water until it reaches room temperature, which should take approximately 10 minutes. This will result in a well-balanced sauce that will elevate any recipe it’s added to.
What is the difference between chili sauce and sweet chili sauce?
When it comes to sauces, it’s important to know the difference between similar-sounding options. Sweet Chili Sauce and Chili Sauce may share the word “chili”, but they are distinct from one another. Sweet Chili Sauce is prepared by combining chili peppers and sugar, resulting in a sweet and spicy taste. Meanwhile, Chili Sauce is predominantly tomato-based, giving it a resemblance to ketchup.
How do you make Jamie Oliver sweet chilli sauce?
Before we start, let’s prepare the ingredients. Begin by peeling the onions and garlic, and then pulling the stalks off the chillies. Chop everything patiently by hand or make use of a food processor.
Now, let’s move to the stovetop. Stir in the chilli powder to the pan and allow it to heat up for a bit. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, plus the vinegar, sugar, apple juice, 200ml of water, and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Finally, continue stirring the mixture until everything is evenly combined.
What is sweet chili sauce made of?
One often uses red chili peppers like Fresno chile, Thai, or red jalapeños, along with rice wine vinegar, and occasionally garlic and fish sauce to make this dish. Additionally, sweeteners like fruits, refined sugar, or honey are also commonly added.
In conclusion, this Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce recipe is a fantastic addition to any cook’s arsenal. With its unique blend of sweet and spicy flavors, it can take your dishes to the next level. The sauce is incredibly versatile and can be used as a dipping sauce, marinade, salad dressing, or stir-fry sauce. Plus, with its simple ingredient list and easy-to-follow instructions, even beginner cooks can whip up a batch in no time.
So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself why it’s so loved? Whether you’re grilling up some chicken or fish, tossing a salad, or simply looking for a spicy dip for your spring rolls, the possibilities are endless with this delicious sauce. And you can feel good about making something from scratch with wholesome ingredients like lemongrass, garlic, and chili peppers.
So go ahead and let your taste buds thrive with the sweet and spicy flavors of this Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce recipe. Trust me; once you’ve tasted it, you’ll never want to go back to store-bought sauces again!
Lemongrass Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely-minced lemongrass (fresh or frozen-prepared)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2-1 tablespoon dried crushed chili (1 tablespoon makes for very spicy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3-4 tbsp. cool water
- Place all sauce ingredients except cornstarch-water mixture in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. When sauce comes to a rolling boil and begins to foam up, reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling over medium heat 10 minutes, or until vinegar has burned off and sauce is reduced by 1/3 to 1/2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Sauce will gradually thicken in 1-2 minutes. If you'd like it thicker, add more cornstarch-water in the same way.
- Remove from heat and taste-test. The sauce should taste sweet first, followed by sour and then spicy tones. Adjust this balance by adding more sugar for a sweeter sauce, or a little more vinegar OR lemon/lime juice if too sweet. Add more chili if you'd like it spicier. This sauce is usually served at room temperature.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.