Food has an amazing power to transport us to different worlds. With a single bite, we can experience the flavors and aromas of faraway places. Today, I’ll take you on a culinary journey to India with my delicious Indian Chili Mushroom recipe.
This dish is a perfect blend of Indian and Chinese flavors, making it a great choice for anyone who loves the fiery heat of Indian spices and the umami-rich flavors of Chinese cuisine. The tender button mushrooms are coated in a delicious blend of spicy chili, garlic, and ginger sauce that will leave your taste buds tingling with delight.
Whether you’re cooking for friends, family or just treating yourself, this dish deserves a place at your dinner table. It’s simple enough for any home cook to create but still packs enough punch to impress even the most seasoned foodies.
So come along on this culinary adventure and let’s explore the wild flavors of India together.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old stir-fry dishes? Look no further than this Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe. Trust me, once you give it a try, it will be hard to resist making it again and again!
Firstly, this recipe is bursting with flavor, from the array of spices like turmeric powder, garam masala, and curry powder to the heat of red chili powder and green chilies. These ingredients come together in a harmonious blend that will excite your taste buds.
Not only is this dish flavorful, but it’s also incredibly versatile. There are various ways to adapt and modify the recipe to meet your preferences or make use of ingredients you already have on hand. Whether you prefer a dry or saucy curry, this recipe can accommodate both variations.
Another reason you’ll love this recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to make. With readily available ingredients such as button mushrooms, garlic paste, soy sauce, and vegetables such as red onion and bell peppers; making this dish is as easy as cooking up a stir-fry.
Finally, this recipe can be relied on for its nutritional value. With mushrooms being the main ingredient in this dish, they offer a rich source of essential vitamins such as Vitamin D which help prevent heart disease and other ailments. Additionally, with this dish offering a healthy dose of veggies such as bell peppers and tomatoes, eating deliciously has never been easier.
So what are you waiting for? Give this Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe a try today and join me in savoring every bite!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this delicious Indian Chili Mushroom recipe:
- Button mushrooms – You will need two cups of sliced button mushrooms for this recipe.
- Garlic paste – Use two teaspoons of garlic paste to add a depth of flavor.
- Ginger-garlic paste – One tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste will help elevate the flavors of this dish.
- Red onion – Half a cup of finely chopped red onion is needed for the base of this recipe.
- Green chilies – Chop two green chilies and add them if you like your dish to have a bit of heat.
- Tomatoes – One cup of chopped tomatoes will give the gravy its tangy flavor.
- Bell peppers – Slice one medium-sized bell pepper into thin strips.
- Scallions/spring onions – Two tablespoons of thinly sliced scallions/spring onions will add texture and a fresh taste to your dish.
- Cilantro – Roughly chop one tablespoon cilantro for garnishing at the end.
For the spices and sauces, you will need:
- Turmeric powder
- Garam masala
- Curry powder
- Red chili powder
- Soy sauce
- Chili sauce
- White vinegar
For cooking, you will need:
- Ghee/Olive oil/Any cooking oil
- All-purpose flour/maida
Most of these ingredients are easily available at local grocery stores, but if some are not obtainable in your area, feel free to substitute as necessary.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s get started with the recipe! This Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe is incredibly flavorful and easy to follow. Now, you will see a detailed explanation of the necessary steps to achieve the perfect meal.
- 1 lb button mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Cilantro and scallions for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala, curry powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for about three minutes or until the tomato mixture turns into a thick gravy.
- Add chopped mushrooms and cook for about five minutes over low-medium heat, stirring consistently.
- In another pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add chili garlic paste and stir for a few seconds before adding onion bell peppers and green chilies. Sautee until the onions are translucent.
- Mix together the mushroom mixture with the veggie mixture and bring it all up on high flame once until they are all combined well.
- Garnish with some freshly cut cilantro and scallions.
That’s it! You can serve this dish as an appetizer or main course with some rice or naan bread.
This recipe has significant flavor potential but may be spicy to your taste buds depending on your heat preferences. The spiciness can always be adjusted by decreasing the amount of chili powder or green chilies added.
Enjoy my take on this refreshingly delicious Mushroom Masala that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy inside!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to the Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe, there are plenty of ways to make it your own. Here are a few substitutions and variations that you can try:
1. Swap out the mushrooms: While button mushrooms are traditionally used in this recipe, you can try using other varieties such as shiitake or portobello for a different texture and flavor.
2. Adjust the heat level: If you like your food spicier, increase the amount of red chili powder or green chilies used. Conversely, if you prefer milder flavors, use less of these ingredients or omit them entirely.
3. Add vegetables: You can bulk up the recipe by adding more vegetables such as bell peppers, onions or tomatoes. These will not only add flavor but also make the dish more nutritious.
4. Explore Indo-Chinese flavors: The Indian Chinese cuisine is a fusion of Indian and Chinese flavors, and this recipe is no exception. To enhance the ‘Chinese’ side of things, try adding some soy sauce, vinegar or chili garlic sauce.
5. Experiment with gravies: If you like your chilis saucy, try making a mushroom gravy by adding some cornstarch slurry to thicken up the sauce.
By playing around with these substitutions and variations, you can create your own unique version of this delicious dish. Whether you want to explore different types of mushrooms or experiment with new flavors from the Indo-Chinese cuisine – don’t be afraid to get creative!
Serving and Pairing
The Indian Chili Mushroom recipe is a versatile dish that can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish. The intense flavors of the dish make it a perfect pairing for fluffy basmati rice, naan bread or roti. Serve it up in individual bowls or dishes with enough sauce to coat the mushrooms.
To enhance the flavors, garnish with fresh cilantro and sliced scallions for texture and added zest. For those who love the heat, top it off with some chopped green chilies or red chili flakes. The dish can also be paired with a side salad made of cucumber and carrot shreds dressed with olive oil and vinegar dressing.
This dish has a rich taste that goes well with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Malbec. For non-alcoholic options, pair it with a refreshing lemon iced tea or chai tea.
In addition, this recipe can easily be incorporated into Indian fusion cuisine by adding some indo-chinese flavoring to the mix such as soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. This variation is particularly popular in Chinese-Indian restaurants and is known as Chilli Garlic Mushroom.
The Indian Chili Mushroom recipe is an excellent vegetarian alternative to traditional meat-based dishes, making it an ideal choice when hosting vegan or vegetarian guests for dinner parties.
Overall, regardless of how you choose to serve and pair this delicious mushroom recipe, your guests will not only delight in its tantalizing aroma but also its explosion of exciting flavors on their palate!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
With its fantastic balance of flavors and easy preparation, the Indian Chili Mushroom recipe can easily be made ahead for future meals. I suggest preparing the dish up to the point where the mushroom dry has been added, then allowing it to cool completely before storing it in an air-tight container in your refrigerator.
When reheating, simply transfer the chilli mushroom dry to a wok or pan over low-medium heat with a tablespoon of oil to prevent sticking. Stir occasionally until heated through. You can also reheat it in a microwave-safe dish for 1-2 minutes on high power.
It is important to note that this dish is best enjoyed fresh, so I recommend not storing it for more than three days. Additionally, avoid freezing this recipe altogether as mushrooms do not freeze well and will turn mushy when thawed.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ways of serving your leftover chilli mushroom too! You could add it to a sandwich or use it as a topping on your pizza. The options are endless!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure the best possible outcome for your Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe, here are some tips and tricks that will take your dish to the next level.
Firstly, make sure to use fresh ingredients. While it may be tempting to use canned mushrooms or pre-cut onions, using fresh produce will significantly enhance the flavor of your dish. Fresh ginger and garlic also add a potent depth of flavor that is essential to authentic Indian cuisine.
Another tip is to let the spices roast in oil for a few seconds before adding the other ingredients. This process awakens their flavors and aromas, making them more potent and delicious.
In addition, be careful not to overcook the mushrooms. They should still have a slight firmness when added to the dish so that they do not become overly soft and mushy.
It’s also important to keep an eye on the heat level; too high heat can cause the ingredients to burn, while too low heat can make the sauce too watery. Therefore, it’s recommended to simmer your ingredients over low-medium heat and adjust as necessary.
When making a dish like Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe, don’t be afraid to make adjustments as you go. Taste the dish frequently and adjust according to your preferences with salt or additional spices.
Lastly, letting the dish cool slightly before serving allows time for all of the flavors to meld together fully. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro on top for an extra burst of freshness.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to create a mouth-watering Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe that will impress both yourself and anyone lucky enough to try it.
As with any recipe, there may be questions that arise while making this Indian chili mushroom dish. To help with this, I have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and their answers. These tips and tricks will ensure that you get the most out of this delicious recipe. So, let’s dive right in!
What is Kadai mushroom made of?
Kadai mushroom is a savory culinary creation that encompasses sautéed button mushrooms, onions and bell peppers, combined in a semi-dry gravy that is seasoned with vast arrays of spices and tangy tomato sauce. It’s a delightful dish that is sure to satiate your taste buds.
What are the benefits of mushroom Manchurian?
Mushrooms have been found to possess anti-cancer properties, especially inhibiting the development of breast and prostate cancer by counteracting the impact of excess estrogen. Additionally, they are a beneficial food item for individuals seeking to prevent diabetes thanks to their low-fat and high protein content. Furthermore, mushrooms are an excellent source of vitamin D, which plays a vital role in calcium absorption.
What is mushroom masala made of?
If you’re looking for a flavorful and easy-to-make Indian curry, then Mushroom Masala might be the perfect choice for you. This dish features a fragrant mix of mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and various spices and herbs, resulting in a smooth and satisfying gravy that will satisfy your taste buds. Whether it’s for a regular weekday meal or a special dinner occasion, Mushroom Masala is a recipe that you won’t regret trying out. With this version of the dish, you’ll be able to recreate the restaurant-style taste that you love right in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Is there a spicy mushroom?
There are a few species of Russula and Lactarius that should not be eaten due to their spicy and peppery taste. These include the Russula emetica and Lactarius piperatus, which are also considered poisonous. However, there are several other non-toxic species that share the same hot flavor. It’s important to properly identify these mushrooms before consuming them.
In conclusion, this Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe is a true delight for anyone who loves the flavours of Indian and Chinese cuisine. With its blend of spices and unique combination of ingredients, this dish will surely impress your friends and family. Whether you are a novice cook or an experienced chef, this recipe is easily adaptable to your skill level and can be adjusted to meet any dietary needs or preferences. Plus, with its versatility and flexibility, you can easily make variations or substitutions to create a version that suits your taste.
So why not give this delicious dish a try? It’s quick and easy to make, requires minimal effort, and is perfect for a weeknight dinner or a weekend get-together with friends. With its vibrant colours, aromatic flavours, and perfect blend of spices, it’s sure to be a favourite among all age groups. So go ahead and take on this adventure in your kitchen – I guarantee that once you get a taste of this delightfully spiced chilli mushroom recipe, you will never look back!
Indian Chili Mushroom Recipe
FOR THE PASTE
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
FOR THE REST
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 green chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- FOR THE PASTE: Heat ghee over pan on medium heat. Sauté onions for 2 minutes, then add tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and dump contents into blender. Blend into a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add green chiles, chili powder, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. Cook for about 20 seconds and immediately add the paste. You can add about 1/2 cup of water for consistency. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add chopped scallions. Cook for 2 minutes more and remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and serve over basmati rice.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.