Greetings, my fellow food enthusiasts! Are you looking for the perfect addition to your next dinner party or Thanksgiving feast? Look no further than the Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe. This southern dish will have everyone at the table begging for seconds – and maybe even thirds!
Cracker Barrel is known for their exceptional soul food, with dishes that evoke memories of grandma’s kitchen. This recipe is no exception. It combines the perfect blend of spices and flavors to create a savory, mouth-watering side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey or ham.
But don’t just take my word for it. Try this recipe for yourself and see why it’s a staple on the Cracker Barrel menu. And don’t forget about the turkey gravy – it complements this Southern cornbread dressing perfectly.
So let’s get started and make your next family dinner or Thanksgiving feast unforgettable with this delicious Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe: The Ultimate Southern Comfort Food
If you are anything like me, then you must be a huge fan of soul food. The kind of food that warms your heart and soothes your soul. And when it comes to southern classics, there’s nothing quite like the Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe.
This recipe is a true classic, and it’s easy to see why. It’s rich, savory and full of flavor – everything that you could ask for in a stuffing recipe. If you’ve never tried homemade cornbread dressing before, this is the perfect recipe to start with.
But what makes this recipe so special? For one thing, it’s incredibly versatile. You can serve it as a side dish with your favorite protein, or enjoy it on its own for a cozy comfort food dinner. It works just as well on your Thanksgiving table as it does on a casual weeknight.
Another reason why you will love this recipe is that it’s incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a delicious batch of stuffing in no time at all. And trust me – once you try homemade dressing, you won’t want to go back to store-bought.
But the real reason why you’ll fall in love with Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe is that it’s downright delicious. From the crispy edges to the moist center, every bite is full of flavor and texture. The blend of spices, cornbread and chicken broth creates the perfect balance of sweet and savory – and once you try it, you’ll be hooked for life.
So if you’re looking for the ultimate southern comfort food experience, look no further than this classic cornbread dressing recipe from Cracker Barrel. Trust us – your taste buds will thank you!
Let’s dive into the ingredient list of this copycat Cracker Barrel cornbread dressing recipe, shall we? To recreate this beloved Southern side dish, you’ll need a few staple ingredients that are sure to make your taste buds sing. Don’t worry if you don’t have everything on hand – substitutions can be made based on what’s available in your pantry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Cornbread:
- 1 quart day-old grated cracker barrel cornbread
- 1 quart day-old grated cracker barrel country cornbread
- 2 cups grated corn bread
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried sage seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
For the Biscuits:
- 1 quart day-old crumbled cornbread biscuits
- 1 pint (2 cups) chopped celery
- 1 pint (2 cups) chopped onion
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried poultry seasoning sage
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
Both versions of cornbread are used in this recipe to add varying textures and flavors. Fresh coarse ground black pepper and ground sage provide a warm flavor with a slight kick, while poultry seasoning and dried parsley flakes offer a perfect finish to the dressing. Don’t be afraid to modify the amount of spices according to your preference. The chicken broth and butter are essential for binding and keeping the stuffing moist during baking. Lastly, chopped onion and celery add great texture to the cornbread dressing, creating an unforgettable combination of Thanksgiving flavors that we all know and love.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gone through the essential information, it is time for the moment you’ve been waiting for – let’s get into the recipe itself. In this section, you’ll find out exactly how to make the perfect Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing that will impress your guests.
Step One: Preparing the Cornbread
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C) and greasing a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of crumbled cornbread and 4 cups of crumbled cornbread biscuits.
- Pour in about 2 cups of chicken broth, stirring gently until the mixture is moist throughout.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Step Two: Sautéing Vegetables
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of chopped onion and 3 cups of chopped celery to the skillet, and sauté for about five minutes or until they are slightly softened.
Step Three: Mixing all Ingredients Together
- Once your vegetables are ready, put them aside and get a large mixing bowl ready.
- To your mixing bowl, add the baked cornbread mix from step one and the sauteed vegetables from step two.
- Stir them together properly until they are well-combined.
- In a separate small bowl, blend together 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth, 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes, 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, and 2 teaspoons ground sage. Add this mixture to the large mixing bowl with other ingredients.
Note: It’s important to stir slowly so that everything is well-combined without crushing the bread entirely.
Step Four: Baking Your Dressing
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease a deep baking dish with some butter or cooking spray.
- Evenly spread your Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing mixture into it.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake covered for thirty minutes before removing the foil and baking uncovered for another twenty-five minutes.
Congratulations! You have made your very own Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing, just like they serve at Cracker Barrel restaurants!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about cooking is that there’s always room for experimentation and exploration, and this recipe is no exception. While the recipe may call for specific ingredients, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try if you’re looking to put your own spin on this classic cornbread dressing recipe.
Firstly, if you don’t have chicken broth or just prefer a vegetarian version, consider using vegetable broth instead. It’s a great substitute that’ll still provide some delicious flavors to the dish.
In addition, while the recipe lists cracker barrel cornbread as its base, you could easily swap it out for your favorite type of cornbread or even add in other types of bread like biscuits or sourdough. If you’re feeling adventurous, mix in some chopped nuts or fruit like apples or cranberries for an extra burst of flavor.
If you’re craving some heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika. And finally, for those who love to get creative with their garnishes, top off your dish with some fried bacon bits or grated cheese.
The key when trying out substitutions and variations in recipes is to experiment with small changes and taste as you go until you find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds. So go ahead and get creative with this recipe – the possibilities are endless!
Serving and Pairing
Once your Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing is cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve and pair it with the perfect entree. This classic Southern side dish is a staple on any holiday table or Sunday dinner menu, and pairs well with a wide variety of meats.
To elevate the flavor of your dressing, try pairing it with juicy turkey, ham or chicken. The savory flavors of the cornbread dressing perfectly complement the tender meaty flavors of these entrees.
In addition to main dishes, this dressing also pairs well with other classic Southern dishes. Consider serving it alongside collard greens, black-eyed peas, macaroni and cheese or sweet potato casserole for a complete soul food-inspired meal.
For an extra touch of indulgence, top your cornbread dressing with a generous ladle of Cracker Barrel turkey gravy. The creamy texture of the gravy adds richness to the dish while also giving it a smooth finish.
This dish also makes a delicious accompaniment to your favorite dinner recipes beyond simply Thanksgiving dinner. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for something to spice up dinnertime, this dressing cracker barrel recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings for Southern comfort food.
Overall, serving and pairing your Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing is all about balancing flavors and textures. By matching this classic side dish with complementary main dishes and side dishes, you can create a balanced and delicious meal that will leave everyone satisfied.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored until you’re ready to serve. This is especially helpful during holiday meal planning when there are so many dishes to prepare.
To make the dressing ahead of time, just follow the recipe instructions and bake as directed. Once it has cooled, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to three days. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days, or frozen for up to two months. To reheat leftovers, you can either use the oven again or microwave it in a microwave-safe dish.
When reheating in the oven, cover the dish with foil to prevent it from drying out. You may also want to sprinkle a few tablespoons of chicken broth on top to keep it moist.
If reheating in the microwave, add a tablespoon or two of water and cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap with a vent hole. Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring occasionally until heated through.
One tip for storing leftovers is to divide them into single portions before freezing. That way, you can take out only what you need and reheat it without thawing the entire container.
Whether you’re making this Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing recipe as a side dish for your next dinner party, or adding it to your soul food spread for Thanksgiving dinner, these make-ahead and storing tips will come in handy.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to making the perfect Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe, following the ingredient list and recipe how-to is essential. However, there are a few tips and tricks that can help take your dressing to the next level:
1. Use day-old cornbread: Using day-old cornbread will allow it to dry out slightly, which will help it absorb the chicken broth and seasonings better.
2. Grate your cornbread: Grating your cornbread instead of simply crumbling it will create a finer, more even texture in your dressing.
3. Mix onion and celery with broth first: Before mixing in the cornbread and other ingredients, mix the chopped onion and celery with some chicken broth and simmer until tender. This step ensures that they will be fully cooked and evenly distributed throughout the dressing.
4. Adjust seasoning to taste: Everyone has different preferences when it comes to seasoning, so adjust the amount of poultry seasoning, sage, black pepper, and dried parsley flakes to your liking.
5. Let it sit before serving: Allowing your Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving will allow the flavors to blend together even more.
By taking these tips into consideration, you can ensure that your Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe turns out perfectly every time.
In conclusion, this Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe is a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner menu or any other soul food meal you have in mind. With its delicious flavor and surprising versatility, the Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe is sure to satisfy everyone around the table. From the moist cornbread dressing biscuits to the savory old country-style dressing, this recipe is a gift that keeps on giving. Impress your loved ones by putting your own spin on it or sticking to the classic recipe.
To get the best results, follow our tips for perfect results, like using fresh ingredients, making a copycat of Cracker Barrel’s Country Cornbread, and opting for make-ahead and storing techniques. You can also experiment with various substitutions and variations to suit your needs and preferences.
Overall, this homemade cornbread dressing recipe has everything you need to make an unforgettable meal. So why not try it out today? Whether you’re looking for a classic southern dressing recipe or want to branch out with some new flavors, this is one side dish that will not disappoint you. Trust us; your taste buds will thank you later!
Cracker Barrel Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 quarts day-old grated cornbread
- 1 quart day-old grated biscuit
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 quart chicken broth, plus
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix onion, celery, corn bread, biscuits, parsley, poultry seasoning, sage and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and blend well.
- Add chicken broth to dry ingredients and mix well.
- The dressing should have a wet but not soupy consistency like a quick bread batter.
- Divide mixture evenly into two 8-inch pans sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until lightly brown on the top.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.