Picture this: a warm, golden-brown slice of freshly baked cornbread loaf piping hot out of the oven. The aroma fills the air and you can’t help but be drawn towards it. The soft texture of the bread melts in your mouth while the slightly sweet and savory flavors take over your senses. If this sounds like heaven to you, then you’re in for a treat with this cornbread loaf recipe.
Cornbread is one of those classic comfort foods that has been around for ages. It has graced Southern tables and dinner parties nationwide for many years, with countless variations to suit different tastes. But this particular recipe brings a new level of moistness and flavor that will blow your mind! I have spent years perfecting this recipe and today you’ll find out how to make it yourself.
My recipe calls for simple ingredients, including yellow cornmeal, flour, frozen corn kernels, eggs, margarine, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. But what makes this cornbread loaf stand out is the combination of these ingredients and the extra steps I’ve taken to give it that perfect texture and flavor.
Are you ready to indulge in some homemade goodness? Let’s get started on this amazing cornbread loaf recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As a lover of homemade cornbread, I have to say that this Cornbread Loaf recipe is one of the most irresistible recipes out there. The bread has a rich, buttery flavor with deliciously crispy and golden edges that will make your mouth water.
The great thing about this recipe is that it uses simple and widely available ingredients such as yellow cornmeal, flour, eggs, buttermilk, and margarine. The combination of these ingredients creates a comforting texture and taste that will transport your senses to the deep south.
But what really sets this recipe apart from others is the addition of frozen corn kernels which adds extra sweetness and texture to the bread. This ingredient gives you that lovely taste of summer even in the dead of winter.
Not only is this recipe easy to follow, but the measurements are specific enough to guarantee perfect results every time. You can even incorporate variations or substitutions like jalapenos or vegan-friendly options for a more personalized touch.
All in all, if you are a fan of homemade cornbread or just looking for an irresistible bread recipe to add to your recipe box, then this Cornbread Loaf Recipe should be on top of your list. The delicious aroma filling your house is enough to convince you to try it out!
To make this irresistible Cornbread Loaf Recipe, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of margarine, melted
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
Note that ingredient measurements are crucial to the success of any recipe, so be sure to measure each ingredient accurately before combining them.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve gone over the ingredients, let’s dive into how to make this delicious cornbread loaf. Here’s a step-by-step guide to follow along with to make sure your homemade cornbread turns out just right!
Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Mix the Dry Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups of yellow cornmeal, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, ¼ cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Mix the Wet Ingredients
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together two large beaten eggs, ½ cup of melted margarine or butter, and one cup of buttermilk.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients Together
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Add Frozen Corn Kernels
Fold in one and a half cups of thawed frozen corn kernels into the batter.
Grease Loaf Pan
Grease a standard-size 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with either cooking spray or additional margarine/butter.
Pour Batter into Loaf Pan
Pour batter into your greased loaf pan and smooth it out so that it’s even.
Bake for 45 to 50 Minutes
Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once done, allow your homemade cornbread loaf to cool in the pan for at least ten minutes before removing it from the pan to serve. Enjoy sliced with butter, honey or as a side dish to any meal!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making cornbread, there are a variety of substitutions and variations that you can try to make the recipe your own. Here are some ideas:
1. Add-ins: If you want to add some extra flavor or texture to your cornbread, try adding in some cooked bacon, diced jalapenos, or even cheese.
2. Omitting eggs: If you’re looking for a vegan cornbread option, you can substitute the eggs in this recipe with flax eggs or applesauce. Simply mix together 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens. This will replace one egg in the recipe.
3. Buttermilk alternative: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make your own by mixing together 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it curdles before using in the recipe.
4. All-purpose flour: If you don’t have any unbleached all-purpose flour, you can use regular all-purpose flour instead. It may not be as nutty and flavorful as the unbleached variety, but it will still work.
5. Masa harina substitution: For a slightly different twist on traditional cornbread, try substituting masa harina (corn flour used for tortilla making) for part of the yellow cornmeal. This will give your cornbread a more authentic Mexican flavor.
6. Sweetcorn bread: If you prefer your cornbread on the sweeter side, simply add an extra 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the batter before baking.
7. Stuffed Cornbread: Want to take your cornbread up a notch? Try making a sausage-stuffed cornbread by preparing a batch of savory sausage filling and layering it inside the batter before baking.
No matter which variation or substitution you choose, don’t be afraid to experiment and make the recipe your own!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delicious cornbread loaf, the options are almost endless!
If you want to keep things simple, you can cut the loaf into slices and serve it up with a generous slathering of butter or jam. The sweetness of the cornbread pairs particularly well with honey or maple syrup too, adding an extra level of decadence.
For a heartier meal, why not pair your cornbread with some savoury chili or a hot bowl of soup? The rich and crumbly texture of the cornbread will beautifully complement the richness of the flavours in your favourite soup.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own “sausage-stuffed” cornbread by cutting the bread into cubes and mixing them together with cooked sausage before baking them all together in the oven. This is a perfect dish for any backyard gathering.
Finally, no meal would be complete without a refreshing beverage to wash it all down with. Pairing your cornbread with some ice-cold milk or a tall glass of sweet tea will make those warm summer evenings even more delightful.
In short, this versatile and delicious cornbread loaf goes well with everything from spicy chilies to fruit jams. So, go ahead and let your imagination run wild by pairing it up with your favourite dishes!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a culinary explorer, I know the importance of convenience and saving time in the kitchen. That’s why I always look for ways to make-ahead or store my dishes to enjoy later on. The same goes for this cornbread loaf recipe, which can be easily prepared ahead of time.
To make this recipe ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions until you reach step 3, where you pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. Instead of baking it immediately, cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to two days. When you’re ready to bake, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before baking.
Storing cornbread is easy and requires minimal effort. To keep your cornbread fresh for longer, slice it into portions and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. You can also freeze it for up to three months. Make sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then foil before freezing.
Reheating cornbread is simple and can help you revive its deliciousness. For a quick reheat, you can pop your portion in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds, depending on its size. If you prefer a crispy crust, place the cornbread slices on a baking sheet and broil them in the oven for about 1-2 minutes.
In conclusion, this cornbread recipe is perfect for busy individuals who want to enjoy homemade comfort food without too much hassle. By knowing these make-ahead, storing, and reheating tips, you can have freshly-baked cornbread whenever your heart desires!
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to baking cornbread, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve perfect results. Here are my top recommendations for making the best cornbread loaf with this recipe:
1. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh ingredients will always give you better results when baking. Check your pantry and make sure your flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda are all fresh.
2. Preheat your oven: It is essential to preheat your oven properly before baking. You can preheat your oven while preparing the batter. This way, the oven will be hot and ready to bake the cornbread once you place it inside the oven.
3. Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can result in a tough, dense loaf. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, and the batter is smooth.
4. Let the batter rest: It’s essential to let the batter rest for a few minutes before baking to allow the leavening agents to activate and do their job.
5. Don’t open the oven frequently: When baking cornbread, avoid opening your oven frequently. This sudden temperature change can lead to uneven baking and a decrease in heat inside your oven.
6. Test doneness with a toothpick: Checking for doneness with a toothpick is necessary before taking out from the oven. Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf if it comes out clean; then, it is finished.
7. Cool before slicing: Once taken out of the oven or it has cooled to room temperature, let it cool off entirely then slice for serving.
These simple tips will guarantee that you’ll have perfect golden brown cornbread every time you bake it!
I sincerely hope that my Cornbread Loaf Recipe has left you inspired to get into the kitchen and whip up a batch of this classic Southern delight. With its delightful combination of sweetness from sugar, crunchiness from cornmeal, and richness from buttermilk and margarine, my recipe is the perfect representation of a truly homemade cornbread loaf.
Now that you have all the information, it’s time to take action and start your baking journey. Don’t be afraid to get creative with your ingredients or experiment with different variations – who knows what delicious new dishes are waiting to be discovered!
From vegan cornbread to jalapeno cornbread, from bread machines to mini loaf pans, there are countless ways to enjoy this versatile and flavorful bread. So go ahead and share this recipe with all your friends, family, and foodie acquaintances. After all, good food deserves to be shared!
Remember that the most important ingredient in any recipe is love. So grab your apron, preheat your oven, and get ready to make some delicious memories in the kitchen. Happy baking!
Cornbread Loaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted margarine or 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with corn meal.
- Mix first six ingredients (flour- salt) in large bowl.
- Mix eggs, melted margarine/oil, milk in small bowl.
- Add egg mixture and corn to dry ingredients.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Mishra Vikas is a digital nomad who loves to explore the world and learn about its cultures. As a programmer, backpacker, and cook, he enjoys sharing his adventures and cooking up delectable dishes. Writing about his experiences, creating tasty recipes, and discovering new places are some of his favorite activities. He’s an avid traveler and passionate chef, always on the lookout for an exciting new journey.